what kind of truck would you guys say??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joshua, Mar 11, 2001.

1. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

i am going to buy a new truck this year. and i would like some insight for what you guys use, and if you have any trouble with it. i'm currently have a chevy85 3/4 ton, 350 but it just getting to old and will onlt make it a anther year or 2. and it isn't a 4x4. which i will need to plow this year. any help is greatly appreciated.
  2. go to your local ford dealer tell him you want a 2001 f350 or f250 super duty 4x4 turbo diesel snow plow prep package and you can decide on the bed and cab, either a ext cab with a 6.5' bed or a reg cab and a 8' bed. your call that is what i would get though. but i would most likely go for the 350
  3. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Mo powa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  4. CCLC

CCLC LawnSite Senior Member

How much mowing are you going to be doing? Are you pulling an inclosed or open trailer? We use GM 3/4 and 1 tons. We abuse the heck out of them and we seem to do fine. The enclosed trailer with equipment weighs in at at around 5200 lbs. Add to that the 105 gallon transfer tank in the back of the truck and the fact that employees don't treat the truck the way you would gives good reason to not get anything less than a 3/4. As far as gas vs diesel that is a personal choice. I have all gas and I am satisified with them.
  5. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

[Edited by AltaLawnCare on 03-12-2001 at 12:03 AM]
  6. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

nice trucks, i want something yellow, so it sticks out when i'm at a yard.
  7. BryanB

BryanB LawnSite Member

I have a 99" Ram 1500 reg cab short bed 4x4 with the 318 in it. My boss at another job has a 250 Poerstroke. I have diriven it and its awesome. It all depends on how much you want to pay. Make sure you get a locking diff. or a posi in it though. The extra 100-200 $ wil be well worth it.
  8. teamII

teamII LawnSite Member

buy a dodge with the cummins i have a 2001 3500 dodge and this is one heck of a truck i had a ford power stroke but it used as much gas as my regular truck (f150) the dodge gets about 18 miles to the gallon in the city and will pull or push anything

MIDSOUTH LawnSite Senior Member

Heres my baby, F-250 powerstroke.

10. Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder LawnSite Member

Gotta love the Dodge Ram !! I have a 2001 1500 4X4 Sport...all Forest Green. Good color for the company.