What kind of turn is this?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, Dec 3, 2002.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

what is referred to as a "K" turn? I have never seen anyone turn a mower like that before. Always here they do it the "improper" way, just stopping one wheel or sometimes turning 90o towards the uncut grass then reversing the inside wheel, turning the rest of the 180o turn, to keep wheels moving at all times to prevent divots. I believe that is a 3 pt. turn? But I've never seen a turn like this. Thanks,
    Eric

no unsponsored links

2. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

Couldnt see the video , too big of a file for my PC .. But How about those stripping kits ??? I like the way they look and make nice stripes ?? anyone ever use these Check mate stripping rollers ???

3. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

from what i understand a K turn to be, thats not really it. although it is a three point turn made in the video, and a k turn is a three point turn.

i always thought a k turn meant when you made your first turn, you stopped and engaged reverse when you are facing 90 degrees from your last stripe, with both wheels in reverse. then you make your final left hand turn

4. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

i donno what a k turn is

5. dr grass

dr grass Banned

Im always reminding my employees " 3pt. turn when its dry, 5 pt turn if its wet" i dont even know if there is such a thing as a 5 point turn, i just made it up. sometimes thats works best for me ... :D

shep :blob1:

6. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

dr. grass we do the same 3pt, when dry and 4-5pt. when wet.

7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

3-4-5 point turns? What happened to zero turn??? :D

That sounds like more turns than I make on a lawn tractor :confused:

No really now, would the way I turn work?

OK, your on a tractor, you have just turned 2 rounds. Now you are starting the first stripe. You go down by the drive with it on your left, so the uncut grass is to your right. You reach the end. Now you turn the tractor max to the right into the uncut grass and continue around until you have made a J. Then you cut the wheel all the way left and back up. Your right rear tire lines right up for the pass back.

Wouldn't that work for a zero turn? I mean you'd have a lot tighter J-loop and get around a lot quicker than me without tearing up the turf right?

And what the heck do you call that turn???

Besides exhausted arms at the end of the day in my case :cry:

8. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

Here's how someone taught me to turn my gear drive wb. When you get to the end of a row, squeeze the inside handle just enough to freewheel, then feather the outside to turn a little. Then freewheel both left and right and pull into your next line. You only have to pull a foot or so if it's done right. It sounds like a lot of work but it's a vast improvement from the lawn tractor I used to use. It's also not zero turn. Only a hydro will give you reverse on one wheel and forward on the other.

9. dr grass

dr grass Banned

envy - you just brought up a very good point. that is a big marketing strategy for the z manufactures. they claim "this mower will turn on a dime" well, if you turn it on a dime it will tear up the grass. the only way ive found to be able to do an actual ZERO TURN is when it is extremely dry (drought times), and that poor grass is hanging on for dear life. but if its the least bit wet, your gonna have to get a metal rake, and fix the boo boo. but from what your describing envy. it sounds like a 3 pt. turn to me. the only problem i see with what you said is i wouldnt " turn the mower max into the uncut grass." so your talking about a 90 degree angel. i turn at about a 60 - 70 degree, back up turning the front of the mower closer to that next stripe, finish the turn ever slightly, and continue striping. another thing, your not going to always turn into the uncut grass. if you always did that, you would be digging piles of cut grass out of beds, and such. hope this helps!

shep :)

10. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

turning a gear is a pain once you have had a hydro. big diff. between hydro.

we have a ferris single drive hydro that must make three point turns. it has instant reverse but the drive tires are always in sync-either in forward, stopped or reverse together. it gets turned as envy described.

was less $ that a normal hydro, and i doubt it's any slower. as was said, often three point turns are necessary anyway