1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What kind of Vehicles are you using?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by munypitt65, Aug 5, 2007.

1. munypitt65

munypitt65 LawnSite Member

Just about to start up a business here in VA, what type of trucks are you all using? Is a smaller truck better for residential? Thanks for any help

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

We use all FORD trucks f250 or better
  3. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Was using a '99 Toyota Tacoma 2.7L 4x4 Supercharged, but am now using an '04 Tacoma 4x4. Its a bit low on power for pulling a large trailer, but I like my Toyotas!
  4. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Diesel.
  5. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

depends what type of turning radius you need and tow capacity.

We have residential lots that vary from less than a 1/4 acre to over an acre. However, they are all located in areas that it doesn't matter what size trailer/truck combo there is cause we don't have any on dead end streets or anything were we have to turn the truck/trailer around.
  6. weeble67

weeble67 LawnSite Senior Member

Pick what suits your buisness the best. If you need a 4x4 buy one. It's your hauling capacity warrants buying a diesel then buy one. Maybe your operation is small and you only tow a 5x7 open trailer, so a mini truck will work great for you. Do what you feel is best, lay out your goals and buy what will assist you in reaching your goals the best.
  7. Rob.C

Rob.C LawnSite Member

I had a 2008 ford f350 supeduty dually, but the transmmission started slipping and I blought a 2008 LTZ 3500 HD dually, what a awsome truck.:weightlifter:
  8. Horsepower Lawns

Horsepower Lawns LawnSite Member

01 Ford Lightning.
    Has all the power I need to pull my trailer and run low 13s/high 12s. ;)
  9. Rob.C

Rob.C LawnSite Member

I would keep the lightning for play and get another work truck...but thats cool. Ford lightning is one of my favorite trucks.:weightlifter:
  10. cutbetterthanyou

cutbetterthanyou LawnSite Bronze Member

I would buy a diesel izuzu or misto dump truck. They are 1 ton or larger so you won't out grow it for a long time. The diesel is pretty economical. They have a sharp turning radius. And the dump will allow you to do more landscaping if you want or if you get into bagging somewhere to put grass