What kind of walk behind?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by promower2002, Feb 27, 2003.

1. promower2002

promower2002 LawnSite Member

I have a little troybilt 21 inch cut, but due to getting some larger accounts that require us to bag the grass, what would you recommend in a self propelled, say 24-48 inch walk behind that does a nice job striping a lawn, as well as a good bagging system.Thanks for your advice.:cool:

2. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Scag. Tough and reliable.

3. promower2002

promower2002 LawnSite Member

I have had a scag salesman after me to change over from my line of grasshoppers to his brand. maybe this would help me see if I like their customer support, etc, before i buy some bigger stuff. Thanks for the reply

4. G. Moose

G. Moose LawnSite Member

I'll cast my vote for Scag. They are the toughest machines in the industry and will stripe well also. However, if quality of cut is REALLY important, I hear exmark does a little better job. Be prepared to spend a little more money on Scag but they are worth it. If you can afford it, go with a hydro unit. Much easier to drive and won't have problems with belts slipping. But they are very pricy. Get 36" or 48" depending on the size of your properties. The 36 will not scalp as bad as a 48, but if you get a floating deck, neither will scalp. I am a stickler for getting the biggest engine available unless you never encounter heavy cutting conditions. My 48" has a 17hp Kawasaki and it has no power problems whatsoever. ;)

5. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

For what I assume is your limited budget if you're mowing with 21" units, I'd recommend Toro T bar belt drive mowers. Easier on your hands. Their fixed decks are actually Exmark (welded, not stamped) decks, so you'd be getting the best cut too. I just ordered a 32" Toro fixed deck 13hp Kawasaki for gated areas....$2500 delivered. I have used their floating decks for years...cut varies amongst models and depends on what you're cutting. Floaters are easier to change cut height on.

I think maximum durability matters less than ease of use if you're the owner/operator.

6. jamesday

jamesday LawnSite Member
    from MS

What about John Deere? Anybody have an opinion? I have a SCAG 48" Belt WB that's a few years old...bought it used. I love it...and it runs like a champ.

7. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

Got a 2002 17/48 scag belt drive,I have since demo'd wright,exmark,lesco and hustler.In my opinion hustler is the best.The new super with all the pups will be in a league all its own.Hustler also has best warranty in bus.Turf tracer with ECS and 23hp would be my second choice.--Too much hp is almost enough.;)

8. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had good luck with Snapper

9. BB36

BB36 LawnSite Member

I'm with bruce32 on this one.I also use Toros and what he said about them is right on the money.

10. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

John Deere makes darn good stuff - Here is a 36 - belt drive - the guy loves it[​IMG]

jd-wb-ft. view.jpg