What kind of weed do I have in my backyard (pic)

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by MrBrownThumb, Apr 17, 2012.

1. MrBrownThumb

MrBrownThumb LawnSite Member

Please let me know what this weed is growing (the green long ones) & how I should fix this issue.

I am in NY.

http://i.imgur.com/V2jJ1.jpg

Thanks!

2. MrBrownThumb

Thanks for that info.

Here is another picture. Maybe this will help since it's close up.

http://imgur.com/RTIZm

3. GrassStitcher

GrassStitcher LawnSite Member

Yea that's orchardgrass

4. MrBrownThumb

damn! Orchard grass? That sucks! So I am basically screwed? There is a 2 areas probably 50x50 feet with it. I dont want to kill my entire lawn? Any recommendations?

5. MrBrownThumb

How long does the round-up contaminate the area I sprayed? Will see grow up roundup?

6. GrassStitcher

I have sprayed roundup and seeded 7 days later, the seed will have no problem, in fact the dead grass / weed acts a mulch, works perfectly.

Glysophate (roundup) breaks down very quickly and does not persist in the soil, just use gloves and normal chemical precautions.

7. MrBrownThumb

I read spray vinegar on the orchard grass to kill it. Is that better?

8. GrassStitcher

Vinegar will kill the foliage but not down to the root (systemic), so it might grow back, give it a try it might work, I have never had time to experiment with that.

9. MrBrownThumb

I threw Crab grass killer with fert about 3 weeks ago. Will that stop the new grass from growing if I do this?

10. GrassStitcher

The crabgrass killer will, but this material creates a vapor on the soil that kills the seed once it comes in contact with it. So you have two choices.

1) if you want to do this in the spring, you need to make sure when you run the Stitcher over it, you do a VERY thorough job of busting up the soil to break up the crabgrass vapor - if this ends up cutting down your germination rate, no worries just touch it up again in the fall with the Stitcher.

or

2) Just wait until the fall which is the ideal time to seed and the crabgrass preventer will not effect it