What kind of wood do you re deck your trailers with?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Venturewest, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Venturewest

Venturewest LawnSite Senior Member

My 16 and 18' flatbed trailers both have wood rotting out. I was curious if you go ahead and replace it with treated 2x or if there is a cheaper alternative. Here some trailer places call it "white wood". Not sure what species that term would encompass. Any ideas or luck you have had?

2. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Most trailers have pressure treated.

3. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

use what ever you want just use the right treatment product on it before you put it in the trailer.

4. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

Why not just use that plastic lumber-looking stuff from Home Cheapo or Blowes?
    It won't rot. Cuts & screws like wood. Won't stain like wood. Available in different colors.

5. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

6. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

that composite decking bends like it's rubber. it wood(pun intended) make a horrible deck for a trailer.

7. EngineeredLawns

EngineeredLawns LawnSite Member

Needs to be lumber 2 X 6 or 2 x 8 or 2 x 10. Decking will not work, to thin. If you have a saw mill close by, go get rough cut 2 x 8 oak, and treat it with some weather sealer before installing. It will outlast the treated pine at the box stores. If you don't have a mill around, then use the treated boards. If you take care of them, they will both last a long time. The non treated wood at the box stores, might last 4 - 5 years tops.

8. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

That plastic lumber is too heavy I looked into it for a truck deck its heavier than steel.

Treated 2x6 is probably the best you can use and slather the crap out the end cuts with that juice. You can get treated that is brown over the usual green.

You also would want to buy the lumber then put it somewhere dry stack it up with wood spacers. Let it dry for a week maybe 2. Around here lumber yards sell treated wood that is outside so its heavy and wet you try use it you will have shrinkage between the boards.

9. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

i used 2x6 pressure treated in the one i built. it's been on there 8 years and is still good, even after sitting out in the weather

10. nac

nac LawnSite Member

Oak or Apitong