what kind of work do you do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnboy82, May 4, 2001.

1. hey all. last year i was cutting about 40 lawns beginning of the year. ended with about 20 and did minimal side work. this year i am only cutting i believe about 15 lawns and am doing plenty of side work. i am much happier now only having to cut grass one day a week as opposed to 2 or 3 days a week. this year i have help, we are doing much more side work, getting a lot more fert accounts. money is better. etc. just wondering where you guys get your money from. with regards to landscaping. i know that grass is steady, however you cant make a lot of money cutting grass. not in my opinion at least.
  2. KD'sLawns

KD'sLawns LawnSite Member

My money comes from everywhere. I like the mowing money, because you can count on it. You know that you will at least make X amount of dollars per week. But, I do everything from light construction to heavy landsaping. Sometimes it is just hard to find time to do the big jobs. Sprinkler system upgrades is about the best though in my opinion. I like to go in and fix others mistakes because there is good money in it.
  3. Craig Turf Management

Craig Turf Management LawnSite Senior Member

I'm mowing so much, that I don't have time for landscape projects. I can make more money scaping though. Maybe I need to hire someone to free up more time for other projects. I would really like to get into some irrigation work. I refer several clients per year to irrigation contractors.
    Bill Craig
  4. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

I do about 25-30 lawns and landscaping. I make so much more landscapeing than lawns. We do pavers, plantings, clearing retaing walls. I usually do alot more landscaping in the summer when the grass slows down. The lawns take a long time in the spring and don't leave as much time as i'd like for landscaping.
  5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

90+ grass customers and climbing each day.
    Spring clean-ups, hedge maintenance, core aerations, and mulching. Will expand into other aspects as the business continues to grow.

I work bankers hours with Matt, and he will work into the evening if need be.
    VERY busy this season.
  6. NateinAtl

NateinAtl LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

I too have changed the scope of my business over the years. This year I am mowing 1 day a week for 40 weeks. April-June I will aerate and lay sod the remainder 5 or 6 days. Sept. and Oct. I will be aerating/seeding fescue 5 or 6 days a week. November and Dec. I will be doing leaf cleanups 5 days a week. July and August I will just piddle around to keep from getting burnt out (which is what happens when I would mow 5 days a week)

It works out a whole lot better for me this way, because there is more money in aerations and sod, and the operation costs are a lot lower. When I was mowing 5 days a week, I had 2 aerators sitting in the garage collecting dust.

Another thing that I didn't like about having a full week's worth of mowing accounts was that if it rains for 2 days straight it messes up your schedule, and the phone rings off the hook.

Obviously things are different in different areas of the country, but this works for me. In fact, this may be the last year I mow.
  7. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

well most of my money came from cutting last year. but this year i will do 5 to 1 with just mulching, instalation, and other landscaping. if not more. i did about 9k in sales in april which is more than i did last year in april, may, and part of june, do to landscaping. just got 3 more bids approved for mulch have to turn in 2 more tommorrow, already approved (well 99% chance) and i don't come cheap, i like like to make around $40 a hour when i do that kinda work because i bust my a$S doing it so i can get as much done , but don't cut coners.

hoping for 55k in sales this year not bad for a 18 year old (gunna 19 on on may 9). right on pace with it now
  8. GREG R

GREG R LawnSite Member

"how ever you can't make alot of money cutting grass
    in my opion"
    depends on what alot of money is to you.
    think small----be small
    think big -----be big
    well into the 6 figure range for me in just mowing.
    65% mowing 20% landscape maintenance 15% winter services
  9. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

You can make ALOT of money just mowing, i have about 160 customers and still growing. I only do landscaping for existing customers, and not because i want to, i figure i have to. I know there is great money in it, i just dont have the time.
  10. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with the last 2 guys, if you have an efficient route with productive equipment a solo guy can make at least 100K gross. I make great money when landscaping but since I don't try to get this work it is infrequent. Mowing is so nice because you know you will get the check every month.