1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What kind of year can we expect?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by outrunjason, Feb 1, 2008.

1. outrunjason

outrunjason LawnSite Senior Member
    from dallas

I am excited about the new year coming up and I am so ready to get the flyers out. I had a good year last year and would like to have an even better year this year. BUT, from what I am hearing from some of buddies of mine is that this just may be a bad year or at least as of now it is looking that way.

I have 2 buddies in 2 different lines of work. One is in the home building business and that has almost come to a halt. My other friend works at an auto shop and there sales have been way down. ASE certified mechanic didn't even have any work for 6 days.

So, I am like great. What kind of year are we going to have? Is it going to be a slow start? Are people going to try and save money and do there own mowing etc? I hope this is not the case. Lawn Care is not as affordable as it used to be and we have all had to raise our prices this year do to gas prices so I wonder how many we are going to sign this year.
  2. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I don't know about the rest of you but I'm expecting the best year ever for Green Pastures Landscaping Inc.

I have a beautiful wife that handles all the books for me now which was the thorn in my flesh that was holding me back from growth. I loathe that work (bookkeeping, taxes, billing and payroll). My wife does it all and leaves me to grow the business, handle employee matters and make sure the work is done to my standards.

This is going to be my best year yet!

2000 posts!
  3. outrunjason

outrunjason LawnSite Senior Member
    from dallas

I wish I could think that positive. I always think oh great what about this year. But last year was awesome. Hope this is another good year.
  4. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I am pretty optimistic about the upcoming year. I have targeted a few areas I currently service for major growth and I am tightening up my operations to cut out unwarranted expenses. All in all, this can be a good year for the companies with the drive to succeed.
  5. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Attitude has a big impact on sales/marketing.

If you meet a customer with trepidation in your heart about your plan they can feel that negative "vibe".

If you are upbeat and hopeful, full of positive "energy" they feel that as well.

Who would you rather hire?

6. lawnkingforever

lawnkingforever LawnSite Bronze Member

I feel it will a good growth year for me. Bought some new equipment and plan on bidding om some bigger projects. Just got to wait for the weather to break here. The economy and slumping housing market should not affect me here in Pittsburgh. since we never see the booming times as alot of the country does, we also do not see the big bust times either. The rest of the country is now expirencing, what we are used to dealing with all the time here. (ie. low wages, slow housing market and job growth)
  7. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

I am looking forward to a good year. I have a multi-prong marketing plan in place and expect better results that I had last year.
  8. RGM

RGM LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Baltimore Md

Well '07 was the worst year I have ever had for number of cut under 20 on most very dry. Hope for nights filled with rain and windy early mornings
  9. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

I think 2008 will be a good year compared to 2007. The record drought nearly put me out of business last year. I read this book titled,"Built to Last" that has some good business case-in-points about what is needed to build a company that can weather tough times. This year, I am going to concentrate on maintenance instead of design/build jobs in order to create a consistent (albeit smaller) positive cash flow. I don't feel safe waiting for the "big job" to come my way, and have been cold calling for grounds care like crazy. It seems to be working. If I can just secure enough work to make it through March, I'll be cookin' come April 1.