1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

what kinda granular

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lawnboyil, Mar 7, 2003.

1. lawnboyil

lawnboyil LawnSite Member

i have bout 17 differnet locations on a contract that gota be kept weed free (flower beds and tree rings) what kinda granular pre-emgernet would givce me the best control or longest either ay it works

2. I have found a good thick layer of mulch (3") does much better than any chemical that claims to keep weeds from growing.

Also if it's open and you can spray round up to control what does grow, then I suggest this route.

If close to plant, pull em by hand.
  3. Harvestman

Harvestman LawnSite Member

Snapshot under the mulch helps real well
  4. 3 in of mulch will keep 75 to 95% of weeds in check, also conseve moisture, adds om to soil, and insulates the soil in summer and winter. Might consider also using surflan alone or with mulch.
  5. I believe the fert and pesticide forum would be more beneficial to poster and readers if enough info was added to initial post.

The following would be helpful:

% active ingredient of chemical, or lbs per gallon
    suggest rate of app. on LABEL, and state recommended app. rate
    rate of application in lbs/m, ai / acre, oz /m
    analysis of fert, and % and source of controlled slow release
    date of application

What all did I forget?
  6. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

Try ornamec 170 from Gordon's. Whatever you decide to use, realize that you're in a sensitive area. Be sure to read the label completely to see if you'll stress the trees or ornamentals.