What Lawn & Landscape Guys Do With 6" Of Snow On The Ground?

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by dyerlawnservice, Jan 31, 2010.

1. dyerlawnservice

dyerlawnservice LawnSite Member
    from East TN

At about 2:30 p.m. Friday I had the wild idea that with the snow coming in late Friday night into Saturday morning that I'd go rent the last bobcat available in town and then proceed to see if I could find some work....risky I know but like I said that was the last machine in TOWN! So I picked my machine up around 3:15 and got to work. Landed 3 big accounts and cleared about $200 in 10 hrs. Pretty pleased with my luck....here some pics from one location....FIRST TIME EVER DOING THIS!

snow removal 1-30-2010 #1.jpg

snow removal 1-30-2010 #2.jpg

2. Cummins343

Cummins343 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Kansas

that's awesome! How much snow on average do you guys recieve a year in TN?

3. mowerdude777

mowerdude777 LawnSite Silver Member

Nice pics glad you were able to get the last one in the area

4. dyerlawnservice

from East TN

yea I dont mind taking a chance if i feel strongly I can make money and we may average 8" a year, this was our biggest snow fall since '96 at one time lol

5. I'm still bleary eye from last nite but was that $200 or $2000 for the day.

6. Hoy landscaping

Hoy landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

200 isnt much for 10 hours. did u miss a zero?

7. dyerlawnservice

from East TN

no $200 is correct, lol like i said I've never done this before and I had no earthly idea what i was doing or how to price it....$200 is the cleared figure after rental, fuel, and everything....I was running it for $60 an hour which I later found out was about half what I should have been, but this only happens maybe once every 8 yrs. or so...I'm happy with $200 when I didn't have anything else to do.

8. Hoy landscaping

Hoy landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

we get 100 bucks an hour. give or take. most guys get 70 for plowing and 30 for salting per hour

9. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

$200.00, stay inside where its warm!! Holy cow, ESPECIALLY in a situation like that, where you have limited competition (I assume not every third truck in your area has a plow and salter hanging off of it?) you should EASILY command at least $100 per hour, per truck. (especially considering the liability you opened up for yourself- you could easily do much damage with that machine, and if somebody were to slip and fall after you've worked on the property *Lawsuit*, which could make that $200 go away REALLY quickly)
    Good to see you capitalizing on some work, awesome pics!, and I bet you had a blast playing in the snow! But line your pockets a bit more if there is ever a next time!!

10. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

story might have been different if you hit something.

Million dollar question.....have you been paid. ie cash in your wallet.not some guy who said he will pay you in a few days etc.