what length enclosed trailer?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by lil'dale, Jul 20, 2008.

1. lil'dale

lil'dale LawnSite Member

Hey everybody. I'm a newbie to the site and pretty new to the business after not doing yards since college 20 years ago. I am about to buy an enclosed v-nose trailer and can't decide between 16 or 18 feet. Any thoughts on this from any of you? Also, any recommendations or better yet, pictures of what type of racks and stuff I should put inside of it?

Thanks in advance for you advice.

2. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

What will you be pulling your trailer with? I would get as big as your truck can pull. We have a 8.5x20, and we could use more room at times. I would get at least the 18' if your truck could pull it.

As far as racks, we use trimmer traps and they work great.
  3. Merlin300

Merlin300 LawnSite Member
    from Zone 5

Get the 18' and roll with it.
  4. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

like he said it all depends on what your truck can handle. but remember the vnose takes about two or three feet off so when you buy the 18 you are really only getting like 16 feet of regular floor space. so if you want all the use of the 18 feet you might have to get a regular square nose trailer.
  5. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

18', you'll outgrow any size, so if those are teh 2 options go big
  6. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

Depends what your going to put in it. I actually run a 12' enclosed. I have a Z and a WB inside with all handhelds on walls. Its a light combination to run around with and burn less fuel. I pull with a 1/2 ton as well. I have a 3/4 ton for mulch and leaves and have an open trailer as well if needed. But its nice to have a smaller trailer to whip araound with. So its just a matter of what your going to put in it. I am assuming your going to put 2 z's if your looking at an 18. If thats the cas you wouldnt need any bigger than the 18. You will also need a 3/4ton or larger truck.
  7. JFF

JFF LawnSite Member

I have a WB, a 21", and a ZTR in a 7x14 flat nose. There is enough room to get around everything.

I wanted a bigger trailer, but I have some pretty tight spots on my route, and I was worried that the bigger trailer I wanted was going to be a pain.

I personally don't see the point of a v-nose unless you are gonna do a ton of highway driving. The ones I looked at were longer than flat noses, but that space in the front is not especially useful. It adds length but not really any space.

I have green touch xtreme trimmer racks an they work great. I built racks for my blowers and hedge trimmers for less than $10 bucks.
  8. lil'dale

lil'dale LawnSite Member

could you send a picture of the homemade racks?
  9. mower&more1986

mower&more1986 LawnSite Senior Member

10. lil'dale

lil'dale LawnSite Member

thanks, that's helpful.