What Licenses do I need in Maryland?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by JWLandscaping, Aug 4, 2008.

1. JWLandscaping

JWLandscaping LawnSite Member

I own a small landscaping company in Anne Arundel County MD, we recently had a very bad set of storms come through the area and several people have asked me to get the some written quotes so they could get them to the insurance company for fallen branch removal etc. Someone told me the insurance sompany may need a License number to report the claim. So the question came up what licenses to I need to run my company in Maryland?? Most of the work is lawn cutting, mulching, raking etc.....

2. JWLandscaping

Also when is a MHIC required?

3. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

You don't need a license to do what your doing in Md. I believe you only need one if your spraying chemicals, digging into the ground or building landscaping structure's or other building type work. To mow, mulch or pull weeds, clean-ups or small branches that have fallen (can't cut trees down either) you won't need a license.

4. JWLandscaping

Thank you for your help.

5. Green Finger

Green Finger LawnSite Senior Member

He is correct on that one. Just keep it simple. Sub the BIG (liability) work out to those who have a license and you get your cut off the top.$$$$:cool2:

that's how you grow and forge relationships, thus making you look good.

6. deereequipment

deereequipment LawnSite Senior Member

Kind of late, but here's some info for you.

They are right. In Maryland, general lawn maintenance, no license needed.
    Fertilizing, nothing needed unless there are weed controls in it. At that point, like other chemicals, you need an applicator's license.
    Tree work, you need a license.
    Landscape/hardscape installations, anything permanent, you need you MHIC (like pavers, retaining walls, ect).
    IF you are just planting a few shrubs or installing a mulch bed, that could fall under maintenance.

If you are hauling debris from cleanups, you may want to check with your local county to see if a refuse license is required. Most of the time, it's only needed when hauling household trash.
    Good Luck

7. deereequipment

deereequipment LawnSite Senior Member

Oh Yeah, don't forget your DOT numbers for your trucks!!

8. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

Actually if you apply fertilizer to more than 3 acres, I think you have to have taken a course from MDA, google search MDA and you can find the specifics, I may be remembering the acre # wrong.

9. fernandezlawnservice

fernandezlawnservice LawnSite Member

It's more than 10 acres.

10. 321birdguy

321birdguy LawnSite Senior Member

what about light tree work sutch as a limb in the way i.e. where park car or touching a house