what liquid Pre-M could I use along my edges?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by buttaluv, Feb 28, 2008.

1. buttaluv

buttaluv LawnSite Senior Member
    from MidWest

Last year I had alot of trouble with weeds popping up along all my edges, (sidewalks, driveways, etc) dandelions mainly, I used Barricade granular, but I thought I would get a pre-m to spray with my first app, along all my edges, that also takes care of Broadleaf...

Thanks fella's

2. tlg

tlg LawnSite Senior Member

Barricade is the wrong product for control of dandelions . Dow makes Gallery (ISOXABEN) which will control broad-leaf weeds from seed. Other than that you may have to use a post emergent for control once they have come up.

3. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Gallery will work. But it can send you to the poor house, and timing is crucial.

Do you mow these lawns too?

If so...try to go in, before the spring pre-emergent application, and do all of your "serious" soil cutting at that point.

That way you'll be applying to a more stable target that won't likely be 'brutalized' by edgers and string trimmers all spring and early summer.
    ...the damage from which is the real reason you see annual grasses along driveway and sidewalk edges anyway

If your customer does the mowing...
    It's simply a matter of educating them the "cause and effect" of "what they do"...and..."what can happen because of what they do".
    (Told to them in very polite language, of course !!)

If they (or your people, for that matter) choose to 'gouge' their sidewalks all spring, and/or 'beat' the grass along the edges down to a NUB week after week; then the customer can expect to see weeds of all different types, no matter what is applied as a pre-emergent, and how often !

I personally like Dimension WSP for this purpose.

Many of the yards I do are so thick...I only have had to do the edges with Dimension.
    The turf's too thick to allow for weeds to enter.
    And that should be every L.C. operator's goal with their customers !

4. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

You have got to do a better job trimming out.
    In general, if you don't trim out properly your edges are only getting half the control product as the rest of the lawn.This applies to both pre and post herbicides.

5. wrivers

wrivers LawnSite Member

6. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member