What machine for this type of job?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by apples017, Nov 14, 2007.

1. apples017

apples017 LawnSite Member

Hi all.

Interested in getting a mower, that is big enough and has the power to mow rural residential blocks(3/4 acre to about 5acre). Then at the same time would like to have a machine powerful enough to, what you guys call "bush hog" all the thick stuff. I'd like to get the odd acreage job and also try to do open area mowing for new subdivisions etc.

1. So, I really like the walkers. From reading on here they have the best Baggins system around????

2. The walkers have interchangable decks, so I could use the 48" GHS deck for house yards. Then put on another deck for open areas, 74".

3. Will a walker be able to "bush hog" see the photo's below, of a tipical long grass situation in my area. Actually it is a little bit shorter that normal. Usually people use a slasher in this situation. As in a slasher towed behind a tractor. If a walker could handle this, it would be great. The walker would then be a all round machine.

4. If the walker won't hanlde this, will a mid mount ZTR handle it? What machine then? Dixie Chopper, Bad Boy, Scag, Exemark, Toro, Dixion ZTR etc.

Thats my backyard by the way, looking over what will eventually be another housing allotment.

Cheers
    Peter
    Australia

Backyard1.jpg

Backyard2.jpg

Backyard3.jpg

2. BanvilleLawnCare

BanvilleLawnCare LawnSite Member

I would definetly not try to brush hog that with a walker. It seems like that would be just asking for a broken spindle, warped deck, or worse. There are probably lots of large rocks hiding in there. I'm not an expert but it seems like a bad idea.

3. BanvilleLawnCare

BanvilleLawnCare LawnSite Member

Also, I don't think that Walkers are known for their brute strength. Many like them because of the cut quality on manicured lawns. If you were going to try using a ztr I might look at a scag (built heavy), but a brush cutter would obviously be best.

4. pbdlandscaping

pbdlandscaping LawnSite Member

depending on how many times a yer you have to do it, buy one of those tow behind swisher, etc, mowers from northern tool, usually less than 2k, and it will pay itself off in a year mowing that.

5. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

I had one ask me to do something like that once, I told them they would have to bush hog it, with a tractor and farm type bush hog, clean it and then we could talk about mowing it.

6. apples017

apples017 LawnSite Member

Yeah, thats what I mean. I dunno if a walker could handle that. Inkow my yardman or rover 13hp can cut it, but slowly, not really productivley.

It would be handy to have the walker do the manicured lawns and be able to cut the heavy stuff. Cause I don't want to get a walker and a bigger machine. Maybe a ZTR and a bagger system. I wounder if the bagger systems on the ZTR's are any good. I think walker has the best baggin don't they?

Peter

7. kturf

kturf LawnSite Member

hey if you dont use a bush hog your going to need a toro ground master either a 325 or a328

8. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

But when I got my ASV RC30, I built a bush hog that goes up front, patterned after a brushwolf. NO comparison! The ASV will run circles around a farm tractor, and I can also carry a grapple with me, to stack up debris. If you don't have the work for the machine all the time, rent one, they are awsome!

9. nmez21

nmez21 LawnSite Senior Member

If you're cutting it at least 3-4 times a year I'd suggest a Hustler. Definantly demo (If there are any Hustler dealers around) to see how it handles the regular lawn, but if you're looking for something that can really chop, take a look(pic 1). If your grass is the right type it may also perform as well as it does for me in lawns (pic 2).

IMG_1542re.jpg

cleancutre.jpg

10. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

no, i wouldn't recommend a walker for that type of cutting.. now if it were to be an area that large and well manicured... definitely. walkers aren't known for their speed in wide open areas. i say go with the tow behind model for cutting that on a not so regular basis.