What Machine to use to lift/place 3600lbs. rocks??

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by flairland, Apr 9, 2008.

1. flairland

flairland LawnSite Senior Member

Title basically says it all.. I have a job coming up in the next month to build a retaining wall out of approximately 3600lbs rocks, and just wondering what to use. Rock will be unloaded off truck by the trucker himself, so the rock never needs to be lifted more than 2 feet max. Its a fairly nice open area, so I'm not too worried about the size of the machine. I'd like to stick with a skidsteer as opposed to a front end loader due to cost, and visibility. Let me know your thoughts.

2. cat2

cat2 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mi

what machines do you have around you that you can rent? The john deere would handle them. you need a wheeled or tracked one?

3. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

A 15-20 ton excavator with a thumb and toothed bucket is the safest method, anything smaller and you are putting your legs and someone's life in peril.

4. cat2

from Mi

get a deere 332 and you will be fine. your only lifting them 2 feet off the ground

5. kreft

kreft LawnSite Bronze Member

yea deere would handle them fine, must rental centers around here have them...

6. mrsops

mrsops LawnSite Silver Member

go for a bobcat S330 :weightlifter:

7. cat2

from Mi

that would work too. depends on what he can get

8. kreft

kreft LawnSite Bronze Member

yea must rental places dont have them.

9. flairland

flairland LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks guys.

A wheeled model is fine. Its a level grassy area. Our local rental companies don't have much to offer, but I have a number of equipment dealerships within 5-15 minutes including New Holland/ASV (same location), JD, and Case too actually. Pallet forks are the only way with a skid too, right?

An excavator would be nice, I'm sure, but a 15-20 ton one sounds pretty big isn't it? What JD model would run in that range??

10. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

95XT or 465 is what I use or the excavator depending on what the job is. You wont find one these at a rental store, but you may at a dealer.