What Machine to use?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by jazak, May 19, 2006.

1. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I got this job. I was going to use a 305 or a 308 both equiped with a thumb, a 306 or 308 articulated loader with pallet forks and bucket, a D3 dozer or a D21(Komatsu), maybe a 252B skid steer, (CAT stuff would be rented out from Foley)& finally a JD 2350 tractor with york rake for finsh. The retainer wall would be made out of rock because I don't think block could hold all that up and would probably be to costly(gravel would be filled behind it and I would use some cement on the wall for extra suport). The backyard would be filled in and all drainage pipes would be led out of the wall, ext. What equipment would you use and what type of materail for the wall would you use? To get down there I may be able to use a nieghbors quad trail but if I can't I would have to create my own.

2. jazak

from NJ

hheerreess mmorree:laugh:

3. Squizzy246B

Squizzy246B LawnSite Senior Member

G,day Jazak, if it was us then we would use a 5 tonne excavator for most of that with a skid to help out. The 308 ex would be good in some areas but whatever trees remain may be a pain with the bigger ex. Maybe a 308 at the start for clearing and a 305 for the rest of the work?.

Its hard to tell with the lay of the land but a track loader may be better than a skid if its slippery.

We use a boom extension bar fitted to our KX 161-3 for laying stone in areas like this.

You said a 308 articulated loader...I'm assuming you meant 908 and whilst that machine may be handy I think a CTL would do more and give you more value for your rental money.

Looks like a great job....don't forget to post some pics as the job goes.

Good Luck

4. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

if the stumps dont have to be removed i would grind them down...all you really need is something like a Takeuchi TL150 with teeth on the bucket, it doesn't look like anything too major besides for those stumps, and i'm pretty sure just from looking at the pictures a 10,000lb. compact track loader could handle it.

5. jazak

from NJ

You said a 308 articulated loader...I'm assuming you meant 908 and whilst that machine may be handy I think a CTL would do more and give you more value for your rental money.

Looks like a great job....don't forget to post some pics as the job goes.

Good Luck[/QUOTE]

Yep thats what I meant. Also I'm not concerend about the stumps. I am concerened about the size of the excavor because I will be lifting heavey rock. The trees will just be dropped and chipped up. The skid would not work because I have to fill in the backyard once I am done. If it was just a retainer wall then I would use the skid. A CTL may work better like you said. Any more input would be great. And I will post pics along the way.

6. jazak

from NJ

The part that I really need to know is which excavator would be best suited for this job: a 305, 308 or a 314? The loader will work fine for what I nee it for + its not a long as the CTLs.

7. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I'd look into how tall you can build mass retaining walls in your area.

You may have to do 3-4 set backbacks with 4' walls on that hillside to be to code.

8. jazak

from NJ

I think its 5' feet but I'm going to check tommorrow just to make sure thanks though.

9. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

A excavator and a skid steer can do all the work you need to do. A 161 Kubota size machine will do the job (12,000lbs).

A mini excavator can do alot of work especially if your a good operator you could almost do the whole job with a decent sized mini. A skid steer would be good for a wheel barrow.

As meantioned you better check out what height of wall requires engineering here it is 48" inches.

It looks like you have a decent size job on your hands good luck with the project. If your contending with the neighbours better be nice to them they can make your life miserable :laugh:

10. tylermckee

tylermckee LawnSite Member
    from wa

I would do it all with just a mini, 8K or bigger. A good operator on one machine will run circles around a decent operator with 2-4 different pieces of equipment. You may also want to rent some sort of compactor, is this going to be a driveway?