What Makes A Log Spliter A Good One?

Discussion in 'Firewood' started by 32vld, Jul 26, 2014.

1. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

Thinking of getting a log splitter. Brands that are good brands to stay away from?

Engines, same?

I like the idea of a machine that runs vertical and horizontal. Any other features, options that are good to have?

2. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

Tsc or northern are both fine.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

Your budget and production requirements are your only concerns. Find a dealer that services what they sell to meet your budget,production requirements and your set, except your labor.
    easy-lift guy

4. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Is your wife giving you back talk or something?

5. 32vld

I said log splitter not a wood chipper.

6. larryinalabama

Well if the misses wont do it.............

A 20$ Maul will do the job a lot faster than a 500$ log splitter, and it will start everytime.

7. 32vld

This past week people up from Florida bought a house near me. They have at least a 1/2 acre. Any way ad on Craigslist said 50 oak trees coming down. I took my TJUL and brought some wood home on Thursday. Split it. Then went back Friday morning with my 5 x 10 trailer. Took 5 - 4' lengths, 6 rounds that I rolled into the trailer. Then filled the trailer floor up with half rounds and a few 16" long logs.

I used my two antique splitting wedges and my sledge hammer. Thursday's load went easy because the dia's were not that large. I will split 12" wood into 4 pieces.

Did all of Fridays easy pieces. I then cut the rounds into half rounds with my chain saw and added them to the 1/2's I got for free. I have been working on that pile yesterday.

I split the half round in half. Then I split each piece in half again. So a half round yields 4 pieces.

8. TTS

TTS LawnSite Senior Member

We built our own from scrap metal and an old lawn mower engine. The quality of the hydraulic pump and ram is really what you're paying for so look for the best setup there and the rest is easy to change if you need.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. larryinalabama

10. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

Too much work Larry. They make splitters for a reason

I wonder what happened to that guy that was trying to use his truck jacked up as a splitter
    Posted via Mobile Device