1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What makes a mower stripe well?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by delphied, Jul 6, 2013.

1. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

Ive seen threads where people say their mower is set up to stripe well but they have no striping roller. They never say how the mower is different in order to stripe well. What are the secrets of a good stripe?
  2. locallawncare.ca

locallawncare.ca LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Some mowers just stripe better than others, also some lawns stripe better than others even with the same mower, also the way the light hits the grass, etc. But deck pitch and proper blades help. All of this has been said many times on LS before.
  3. delphied

Oh I see now. Deck pitch and proper blades? Is proper a brand?
  4. ramcat

ramcat LawnSite Member

I don't believe proper is a brand, I think he means that you need the right blades for the application. Usually "high lift" blades leave the best stripe, these blades have more of a bend in them to direct air upward as they spin. Most blade manufacturers offer a high lift blade. Deck design and the type of grass are the two most important things when you are trying to stripe a lawn. I have noticed that decks with tighter baffles (most notably the exmark ultracut deck) stripe better than a deck with a more open baffling set up such as the Scag Velocity deck or the John Deere 7-iron deck).
  5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Delphied, I've seen very few mowers that don't have a stripe enhancement of some sort, that do any more than leave tire tracks in the grass. If you want a nice solid stripe from side to side you MUST have some way of pushing the grass over to the ground. That is what the tires do as they roll over the ground. The lack of a stripe enhancement device is why the huge majority of the stripe pics here are just tire tracks.
  6. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

I'll have to upload more pics and post a few that are pretty sick.
  7. delphied

I agree. I think the good stripe pics are from mowers with stripers and I am also thinking its all a big secret too.
  8. LawnMan19

LawnMan19 LawnSite Gold Member

The operator....
  9. It's a combo of striping blades and some blue tag "stripe right" fescue seed.
  10. Porcupine Lawn and Snow

Porcupine Lawn and Snow LawnSite Senior Member

I find that any of my mowers wether it be the Kubota or the Wright stripe well in highly dense grass but they just leave tire tracks in thin, undense grass.
    Also, the deck pitch is also a common factor as others have said.