What makes a mower stripe well?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by delphied, Jul 6, 2013.

1. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

Cut height, shorter cuts produce shallow stripes and higher cuts make deeper stripes.

2. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

high-lift blade, nice, thick fescue cut at 3.5. No striping kit required.

fine pix 014.jpg

3. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

Groomer, I see a lot of tire tracks. There shouldn't be any light marks on the dark stripes.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I agree. Mostly tire tracks. Put a striper on that mower and watch what happens.

5. Richard Martin

These stripes aren't perfect but they're pretty close. Lawns in the South can be hard to stripe sometimes. You see very little evidence of tire tracks.

[​IMG]

6. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

You make some nice stripes that for sure
    My stripes fade away with in a week. I like it that way I never mow same path twice in same month and far that goes in same year
    I mow to keep the lawn smooth.

I know with a roller striper that stripe is lock in for the season Some grass for life. So to keep the look you have to stripe the same way. Around here you'll rut lawns.
    One job I took over the guy stripe 2 ways for 5 years, its rutted so bad you have to watch how you walk to trim you might twist a ankle.

His stripes he made are still lock in I been mowing for a month if I go across his stripes I scalp.

You can tell ones mows same way all time when the grass turns brown the tire marks are still green means the grass is taller where tires been running, which means the lawn is rutted.

7. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Nice stripes there but what did you do to the edge looks like RU trimming

8. Richard Martin

Their house, not mine. It was like that when I took it over. I actually get requests to do that around the beds. Bermuda grows very aggressively here and it will be in the beds within 7 days. So folks ask me to spray a little ways away so the Bermuda never gets a chance to invade the beds.

9. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Their you go say Their House, not mine .

I would do it to my lawn. But I wouldn't have guts do to a customer's lawn

I hate to mow and trim my lawn it doesn't pay anything So I trim with RU I live out in the sticks so it gets mowed maybe 1-2 time a month.

10. andersman02

andersman02 LawnSite Senior Member

[​IMG]

260z w/ stripe kit on fescue/kbg mowed at 3.5", not bad but looking at it I think ill lower the stripe pad

[​IMG]

A helper did this, he was all pumped with how it turned out and wanted a picture, done at 3.5" on gravely 48" WB w/ stripe kit. Pretty far away but you get the point

All of our decks are 1/4" pitched, I may try to us double blades on the 48" as it leaves stranglers on thin yards