1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

What makes a mower stripe well?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by delphied, Jul 6, 2013.

1. camobrute

camobrute LawnSite Member

Very nice stripes Richard. Was talking with a fella the other day at Scag dealership who had a lawn business near Greenville, actually in Farmville I think. Wasn't you was it?

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Nope. I don't do Farmville.

3. NORTHMAN

NORTHMAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Mr.Martin,sir,what kind of striper do you use?

4. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Here ya go-

http://bigleaguelawns.com/

I don't agree with those that say that most lawn stripes posted here are just tire tracks....... at all, but a roller set-up like the Big League is definitely better, no doubt about that.

5. ramcat

ramcat LawnSite Member

These were done without a roller.

185012_466225466742629_864358096_n.jpeg

0825111420.jpg

0828121213.jpg

6. ramcat

ramcat LawnSite Member

this one too....

402952_465985880099921_302623937_n.jpg

7. JJRB

JJRB LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

I was wondering, do you or anyone have experience with these stripers on a push mower? Do they stick out behind the mower to much so that your forced to take tighter steps?

8. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

I've never used on on a WB mower (21") but I have seen posts here from guys that have and some claim that they do get in the way, while others said they didn't. I would think that you'd have to step awfully close to the rear of the deck for that to be a problem based on the few pics of them on a 21" that I've seen. They do leave a more pronounced stripe behind though, and a 21" definitely needs help in that regard IME.

9. JJRB

JJRB LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

Ok thanks! I might decide to get one for my toro wb which I use to mow some backyards that have to tight of a gate for my ztr (So annoying).

10. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

Ramcat-
    what machine did you use to do those?

I get some decnt stripes from my JD950. Yea, I can see the tire marks (just like you can while using a roller striper, even though they stand out less with the roller), but they look pretty good IMO.