What makes a professional cut lawn...professional looking?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Dixie Pro Lawn Care, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Dixie Pro Lawn Care

Dixie Pro Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Just trying to get others perspectives on this for curiosity's sake. To a customer, what makes their lawn look better with you doing it as opposed to them or someone else doing it? Give details on what steps you take to make your lawns stand out.

2. pagefault

pagefault LawnSite Senior Member

When I walk around handing out fliers, three things (or the lack thereof) always catch my eye:

1) A nice clean edge around driveways and walkways.

2) No clippings all over the driveway.

3) A nice even cut with no clumps of grass all over the lawn.

I went out the other day and every 15th house had edges that were done with a trimmer and about 2" back from the concrete and tons of clippings EVERYWHERE. I don't know who has those accounts, but they are about to lose them. I talked to about 100 people this weekend and immediately signed up five of them.

3. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I have never had a perspective customer ask me about stripes.....so I don't think that is it.

I think alot of it has to do with details, cleaning up any grass off the streets around the property, picking up trash, and being nice. Reliability is very important. I work hard to keep grass out of beds, I always walk behind the house to blow grass off of back porches. I also try to answer any questions the customer might have.

Derek

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I have to agree with the last two posts. These are the elements that weigh in way before "striping". While striping is great, and it looks good and all, if the trimming looks bad, then the whole place looks bad. The same thing goes for the cleanup. you can have the finest stripes in the world - performed with the world's greatest mower. All the trimming can be even, meticulously done, and perfected on the edges. If you l;eave grass laying all over the drive, walks, or curbline, then the whole place looks bad. This is the absolute truth.

5. Adamma Landscape Group

Adamma Landscape Group LawnSite Member

The cut, edging, blowing. The customer will tell you how you are doing. :cool2:

6. lawnranger44

lawnranger44 LawnSite Senior Member

I think edging impresses customers most of all.

Now the things that make ME proud are:
    1. Nice Stripes
    2. Even cut with no skippers or clumps or visible clippings
    3. Cutting when the grass is ready to be cut, no later (nothing looks crappier than grass cut down from 10")

7. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

trimming trimming trimming yes there is a right and wrong way to dolt

8. pagefault

I've actually searched for this on this site, but I always end up finding threads about edging with a trimmer. I just try to mow as close to everything as possible and trim the rest as neatly as I can. Got any tips?

9. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

go slow and take your time I see to many people taking it to the dirt so they don't have to trim next week. If you are just starting you can put a piece of extra plastic on the bottom of the head so you don't take it to the dirt.

10. pagefault

Holy crap! I feel much better. The other day I actually reached down and plucked a blade that was too close to a tree to get with the trimmer. I'm sure as hell not taking the trimmer down to the dirt.