1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

what makes diseases

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by DeepGreenLawn, Jul 18, 2008.

1. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Most lawn diseases are fungal issues correct? Other than that the problems are caused by other issues such as pests, compaction, poor soil conditions? Am I right in this theory? And then... the NPP will solve most of these too correct?

*Disclaimer: I fried in the sun today so if that is a stupid question I apologize. I was going to hire some help but thought I would tuff it out and do the work myself and keep the money.
  2. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

3. treegal1

sorry about the short post to keep ya reading while I ate,

to answer you question in my own words, fungal pathogens are usually low level opportunists that will almost always prey on the weak, the are a few exceptions. A healthy plant will in most cases have orifice that are used in transpiration and exude, if these openings are weak or not full of good symbiots or helpers they are more susceptible to fungal disease. how they get there and there exact mode of action are another thing all to together.

no on to my ideals about disease,

popular war advantage;
    create a vacuum and then fill that vacuum. that's how a disease comes in to the dominate role, and also how we as organic care provider will over come these deicers long term,Bills npp, lets start there because you are asking about that i think? first you create a vacuum(nuclear winter) then you add the good guys back into the mix(tea, 123ICT, jar tea of your favorite brand(thats a freakin joke, there is very little good jar tea out there), loads of compost, inoculated seed, some kind of AM/VAM,nematodes,,,

so the how do they question was a broad stroke of the brush, give me a name or a slide and we can work from there........... say like red thread or you favorite killer and then we talk.
  4. DeepGreenLawn

Appreciate it, I got to read some of the stuff, had to spend some time with the family though. The main question was are most diseases fungal or is there something else? I think the answer was yes. I will read some more tomorrow.
  5. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

TG nailed it

Disease is caused by opportunists, there is a void

Think of an open patch in the turf, who are the first that come in? the things that are called weeds, this time of year since the soil in our area has gotten over 70 degrees, crabgrass

They are opportunists, the first ones that are able to establish themselves win

If you spray an herbicide in an area and defoliate, who is going to come back in first??

If you don't have diversity in the landscape soil, who is going to come in first

Opportunists are in all shapes and sizes, bacterial, fungal, nematodes.

You know what though, I have never heard anyone say "I have too many worms and need to get rid of them"
  6. Prolawnservice

Prolawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

On a golf green maybe:p
  7. Prolawnservice

Prolawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

OK how about dollar spot, I have a few new lawns with it and the customers are freaking, the same customers that agreed to hang in there as we transition, that said they understood its a process, and that they'll follow these cultural practices like NOT mowing with dull mower blades and NOT WATERING AT NIGHT especially for 15min every night then crank the irrigation up to 45min a zone because there were a few tan spots and now they have spread around the whole lawn??????? and this organic stuff doesn't work give me the chemicals I need instant satisfaction.
    Sorry for the rant but new customers drive me nuts, and there almost all exactly the same. Bad day.
    Anyway whats a good way to prevent dollar spot on new properties that were previously heavily chemically treated?
  8. treegal1

I think that bill's thing is to transition, that means some npp to start with, most of these little problems are in the ground already and wake up as soon as we start to try and feed the herd, so a total wipe out and fresh start is now more and more the way, before we tryed other fungicides and they where not what we wanted, granted Bill's is strong medicine but...... it is easier than 8 apps of tea over 12 weeks and a lot cheaper to, so we have started the heavy chem yards off with some NPP and and then some tea and AM. after that we seem to be ok, week 4 of the modified program on 6 yards, so far so good!!
  9. DeepGreenLawn

what is AM?
  10. treegal1

some of the letters on that check$?....