What makes mowing easier for you

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by curry, Apr 9, 2003.

1. curry

curry LawnSite Member

I was reading a thread the other day about the Peltor headphones and decided I would get a pair. Im waiting for them to come in. I have several accounts that takes me 2hrs just to mow so they will come in handy to listen to music. This made me think of things that make my day easier when mowing. The question is, What little "secrets" have you learned that make your mowing day easier to have with you. Mine would be the Peltors(I hope), and a putty knife to scrape under the deck when it gets clogged.

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

A ZTR

3. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

my sony radio headphones work well about time for a new pair they work well an also i carry my water jug with me helps with the heat!!oh yes an the best thing of them all a ice cold bandana to wrap around my head !!!

4. jsr2741

jsr2741 LawnSite Senior Member

Haven't got one of those yet but after 3 years I finally bought a velky. Should of done it 3 years ago, oh well live and learn.

5. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

A crew with a GREAT sense of humor. We bust each others' b@lls ALL day long. :cool:

6. EARLY TIMES AND COKE

7. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

Used to have some headset or ear phones and listened to the radio a few years back, problem was, was the wire from the radio to the ear pieces always got in the way or fell off or something, always fartin around with the radio instead of mowing.
    I just love sitting on my Turf Tiger and mowing stripes :cool:
    Beautifying Landscapes ;)
    Matt

8. oops that was supposed to be at end of day, otherwise headphones ,although people look at you funny when you get carried away singing some of the high notes.

9. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

what Paponte siad

10. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

How many of you that wear the headphones are the actual owners of the machines you are operating? Maybe I'm old fashioned, but my grandfather taught me almost 30 years ago while cultivating corn with a JD 4020 to "Turn the damn radio down so you can hear the engine run". To this day I have followed his advice and last year I saved a motor from overheating and possibly cracking the block because I could tell that the motor was sounding just a little bit more high pitched than normal which was a result of a fan belt breaking. It really would be a relief to listen to music all day, but when you own and operate $8,000- $10,000 mowers, I just can't bring myself to do that.