what makes the grass come up, like a carpet?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by bobbygedd, Aug 29, 2003.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

ok, grass is comming up, roots and all. everything was fine, till last week, when the hottest weather hit. i have two lawns, browning bad, and grass comes right out, roots and all. grubs u say? no way. i put so much crap on this lawn, im surprised the people are still living. what could it be? one was what i belived to be a fungus, hit it with bayleton, it stopped spreading, but the damaged areas are commin out in my hand. the other, the customer had a fence put in, and the fence man hammered the sprinkler pipes, but they never realized it. i thought heat stressed lawns just turned brown? this one is comming up like a carpet. there are no grubs present at either property.

2. creativedan

creativedan LawnSite Member
    from IL

i had this prob yesterday on a lawn. i was cutting the sod to raise ground level (caused from sink holes). the sod was just falling apart. Bad Soil is what came up with.

3. GLAN

GLAN Banned

With all the rain we have had, root stress was big, in fact the roots suffocated died back and the grass was only kept alive from all the rain.

Also the compaction of the soil did not allow the roots to grow, and kept roots closer to the surface.

That will also happen with to much fertilizing. Pushing all that nice top growth and greening of the plant that the root system suffered.

that will also happen where it is kinda shady, and the border is cut in one direction all the time, The grass grows kinda bent over, especialy when cut tall.

Just a couple explanations off the top of my head.

4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

phew, u must got a giant head

5. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Hard finding helmets to wear..........:D

6. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

is re-seeding the only fix

7. ant