1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What makes you a professional?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LAWNGODFATHER, Aug 26, 2003.

1. Ok with all this talk of professionalism, I want to hear all the jive you think you need to be a professional.

Might as well throw in the do's and don'ts too.
  2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

business cards (sealed more deals with these)
    professional/commercial equipment
    knowing "your numbers"
    reliability (being where you say you'll be when you said you'd be there)

thats enough just to get the ball rolling
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I'll start this one off with:

Always showing up on the appointed day within the best of your abilities.

Most of my customers are picky about the day of the week that I service their lawn. They do understand that sometimes circumstances prevent me from being there on a certain day like rain but they do expect me on "day" otherwise. The reason they expect me there on a certain day is because I have gotten them used to it. It is also the number one complaint I hear about the former LCO.

Doing the job with consistant results.

Customers hate it when one week you do a good job and then next week you skip stuff. If you're going to do a crappy job be consistant about it and vice-a-versa for doing good work. Of course I strive to do the best work around.

Don't look like you're heading for the mosh pit at a Greenday concert.

One of my competitors has a guy working for him that has worn the same ratty, nasty, filthy pair of oversized pants that he has to hold up with one hand all season. The guy even gives me the creeps. Imagine what he does to the customers. In other words: Dress nice in uniform clothes if possible.

Bill customers on a regular basis.

This is the number 2 complaint I receive about former LCOs. People really hate getting one huge bill for 2 and 3 months worth of work right after Christmas. Need I say more?
  4. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Constantly expand your knowledge and pursue your career as if it were your passion.
  5. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

That's too complicated. I'll just act like one.
  6. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Professional-ism, is realizing what a customer needs, and providing that service the best you can.
  7. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

Actually knowing what you are talking about. Being an active member in trade organizations and what not.
  8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

what makes me a professional, by bobby: reliability, doing a good job, reasonable appearance, ability to speak in complete sentances, and use words thats have more than one sylable. and most of all, being knowledgable in alot of different areas. for example, they can ask any question, and i have an answer, and a solution. i know how to identify, and treat most plant , and lawn problems, i can identify any plant, tree, or shrub on thier property. if they ask for advice on a new install, or design, i can usually just come up with something, including a price, in a matter of minutes. you would be surprised guys, how many lawn boys dont even know what nutsedge is, they dont know when to properly treat for grubs, using the different treatments that are available. they dont know that if u spray roundup on the crabgrass in the middle of the lawn, that the crabgrass will live, and the lawn wont. i saw a guy spraying dandelions a few months back, with the famouse home depot gallon size roundup jug. killed half the lawn too. to sum it up, i think a proffesional has an all around knowledge, and is able to provide all phases of property maint, not just cut the lawn. the end
  9. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Showing a high degree of skill and competence
  10. drobson

drobson LawnSite Member

Treating customers like you would want to be treated. The #1 compliment I get from my customers is that I treat them well. I don't make them feel stupid, not matter what they say. If I make a mistake I own up to it right away and do what I can to make it right. Basically, I do what I would like a contractor to do for me.