1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What makes you better than......

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by George777, May 27, 2001.

1. George777

George777 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

What makes your company stand out from the rest in your area? Also why should a customer select your company over the others?

Example: We all know that Eric is the stripe master and so that is one way he stands out from the rest.
    I have herd the term cut, blow, and go. If you have 10 -14 customers per day how can you not cut, blow, and go.

As for my partner and I we found out that we were moving to fast and not doing as good of a job as we should. After realizing this we slowed down and now when we leave the job site everything is done right. Granted I've only been in this business for 6 months. I understand that speed will come with time.

I'm sure every company out there thinks they are the best, but what is the best? As far as I'm concerned if my customer is happy than I'm happy. We do something I call a "once over", that is when after we are done we walk around the property to ensure it looks good.

I would be interested in hearing from ya'll because I know we all think we are the best. A long time ago I learned to do your best and compare yourself with no one.
  2. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

I beleive we still have alot to learn in the maintenance area....
    We also do "a once over".. we are dependable,curtious,liecenced,insured,uniformed....been around for a long time...do we do the best work? I don't know... we have some sites that just aren't interested in the "disney look"... we are in and out...we do what they pay for...they are sites I would rather not have our trucks seen at...other sites I am proud to be seen there and we give them the total service that they pay for. I suppose I would rather just do the ones that I am proud to be seen at but that is not the case. Someday??? maybe...but those quick in and out commercial sites pay ok.
  3. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

"cut, mow and blow" landscaper refers to one that only "mows the lawn as appoesed to providing full services for the customer. I am no longer taking accounts that arent full service. When you only mow a property you have zero control over the look of the landscaping, weeds, shrubs, ect. A property of yours with poor beds and such gives you a bad name whether you maitain them or not, passer byers dont know that.
  4. George777

George777 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Evan528, nice response for some reason the lawns I fert look better then the ones who have an outside company doing it. Is it possible since they don't maintain it that they don't care? Or maybe they water down the product so it will stretch farther? I do not know. I must say I'm not impressed with the companies in my area that only spray and fert.
    That Lesco fert I use even seen to bring out a deeper green.
  5. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

I find this post very interesting and would like to know what other companys do...perhaps I should get a truck with no lettering to do those mow and blow accounts????... sure not ready to give them up.
  6. Fine Lines Lawn

Fine Lines Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Any company that practices quality and attention to detail will stand out above the rest. Quality service is not a talent, but an attitude. Business ownership sets the tone for this attitude and spreads it throughout the organization.
  7. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

I make a good living doing mow and go accounts. Some folks just wont (or cant) mow but like to tend to other aspects of the landscaping and are willing to pay for the service.

I also do pretty good at my full service accounts.

My service area consists of older neighborhoods with mature landscaping. A 40 year old subdivision is considered new housing developments.

Give the customer what they want. Other homeowners talk about your finished operations less than your egos will be willing to admit.
  8. i know i am not better than my competition. i may be at about the same level as them in certain areas, better in others, worse in others. depends what you are talking about. maintenance i am below, landscaping i am at their level, sometimes above. and tree work i am at their level. the thing that makes me stand out though i think is that i know my customers on a personal basis. i never really just send out bills. usually i go and see the person with the bill. or i stop by to pay visits just to say hello, or make sure that everything is alright at the property. so i believe that that is what sets me apart, is my public relations. not to say that i havent been fired for having to be chased after, however the people still really like me. and when asked who does their landscaping it is: matt, not HL tree... even my best customers dont know the company name, they know my name.
  9. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

What makes me better? Not a thing. I do lots of mow and go, may not look as nice, but they still pay me. Who makes a better burger, Mcdonalds or Billybobs burger hut? But who makes more money? Money motivates me, not looking at a lawn and saying wow isnt that a great job.
  10. Lawn DOG

Lawn DOG LawnSite Senior Member

You only get one chance to make a first impression! If you have long hair and tatoos what image do you think that reflects on your company? Do you allow your employees to smoke on the job site? Are they uniformed? Do they act respectfully around your clients? Do they cuss? Do they whistle or stare at women? Do they take inventory of your clients belongings? These are just some of the things that I will not tolerate in my company. This is also why I have cornered the market of the rich in my area.
    One more rule I thought I would share we do not take care of any trailor parks. No exceptions. In my area we leave these to the bottom feeders.