1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What makes you BUY?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MOW ED, Mar 10, 2003.

1. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

This is the time when many of us (myself included) start looking to buy the new toys. It can be anything but my main question deals with ZTR's.

You don't have to talk brand specific but what is it that finally sells you on one mower over another? Seriously.

Is it brand name, is it a certain feature, is it because you like the color? With many mowers being so close in design there has to be a certain key feature that finally makes you decide.
    What is it?

I am not gonna put mine down because I want to see if you are on the same track as I am or not.
  2. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

I look for solid craftsmanship. So I just bought me a 61" Sentar with 25 HP kawi. :cool: Shortcoming is lack of attachments, but I believe I can fix up a hitch to tow. Reason I went with Sentar is I did not want to spook my high-end resi's with a ZTR and the Sentar seems to have a sleeker profile not looking so large. The new Sentar also seems to have worked on the comfort issues and it is built like a brick sh*thouse. Not to mention there is nothing else like it out there...I'll probably be the first on the block to be running one of these. I'll wind up getting the same looks as when they see me with the Pro-slide for the first time.
  3. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Craftsmanship, ease of use, ease of maintenance & dealer support are all huge items that I look for. Without any of these items you will be less productive and spending time regretting your decision.

4. mowngrow

mowngrow LawnSite Senior Member

before i buy any peice of equipment, i research it. i see what kind of job the machine does compared to others like it. i look at the way that the unit is built. dealer support is a must-without that you my as well just stay at home. price usually isnt an issue.
  5. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

To me, dealer support is first and foremost. My dealer is honest and most of the time will fix a machine while we wait. I don't buy anywhere else.
  6. ConPro

ConPro LawnSite Member

I also go with dealer support. If the machine ever breaks, I want it running tomorrow. I have a 61" bobcat. Bought the leaf collection box last year, didn't have to use any tarps at all.
  7. sir_stripes_alot

sir_stripes_alot LawnSite Member

No seriously. Dealership service and friendliness is the main seller for me. That and a good product ;) :)
  8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Number 1 is Quality...if it won't hold up, why would I buy it in the first place?

Number 2 is Service...nothing lasts forever so when it breaks down, I need a dealer with the support to fix it.

Number 3 is Price...important but even if it's heavily discounted, what do I care if quality and service aren't there?

There is truth in the saying, "you get what you pay for" .
  9. sir_stripes_alot

sir_stripes_alot LawnSite Member

Does that make a Lesco a junker then rodfather?
  10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't know...I have never owned or operated one. I only offered my criteria on how I make equipment purchases. I wasn't asked to comment on a particular manufacturer. And BTW, I have this same mind-set when I purchase things for a personal reason as well.