what makes you THINK......

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Aug 10, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i'd like to know, what MAKES YOU THINK, that YOU ARE WORTH, $60, $70, $80 an hour? you are, afterall, only cutting the grass. ok, so you are running a business, and need to pull a great profit after expenses, what in the world makes you think, that your "pay" should be much more than that of a janitor? doctors, lawyers, accountants- PROFESSIONALS, SHOULD BE ABLE TO NAME THIER PRICE. BUT, A LAWNBOY? cutting grass is an unskilled proffesion. it requires no college degree, or, even any type of education. there are no trade schools for mowing lawns, there are no entry requirements. so why the hell should you believe, that YOU are worth anything more than minimum wage, or a buck or two more?
  2. Redneckn

Redneckn LawnSite Senior Member

Because they are doing the job I dont want to do.
    That actually come out of my rent. When I lived at the farm, I had some high schools boys that came out and mowed my yard most of the time. They mowed, weeded 2 huge rose beds, weed-ate, and power washed my main drive way every other week and got 20 bux each. And they were happy to be doing it.

I did provide the Craftsman tractor, the John Deere line trimmer, and Craftsman power washer though.
  3. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

cuz most people don't want to cut grass. they're our customers :) sort of like supply and demand. we supply work they dopn't want to do, and demand a price :waving:

if someone's job, was eating ice cream, they'd surely pull in a lesser "per hour" wage.... then the simplest lawnboy.
  4. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

my education, operating cost, market demand, the fact that this country is almost entirly service based, the fact that this country is lazy and people will pay anything so they can do nothing! Plus the fact that we remain booked for most of the year without advertising and we name are price and were not broke yet! So did someone give you that rant Bobby or is that just you insight?
  5. aklandscape

aklandscape LawnSite Member

They have a brand new 2005 crew cab pick-up, brand new enclosed trailer, 3 ztr's , all the other tools they need. That's like $100,000 worth of stuff. How will they pay for it if they don't charge that much. I guess they don't know about low overhead. I personally drive an old ford pick-up(good shape) new open trailer and pay for my tools as Iget them. Low over head.
  6. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

Basically we're worth what the market will bear and what the competition
    will allow. If we have a lot of people in the business the prices go down until those who can't compete go out of business thereby limiting the number of competitors. Prices start rising and we all make a little more for our efforts. The trick is to hang on until the market adjusts itself and the efficient are still standing. But you guys know that as well as I do.
  7. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

you low ball cause you need the money. I dont so i get what im worth .............
  8. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

if you cant pay cash you cant afford it
  9. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

This is the same way we work and it sure gives me a comfortable feeling. I like the machines and system we have and it allows us to compete in an area
    with 35 landscapers listed in the Yellow Pages alone and never mind the word of mouth guys who don't advertise.
  10. HometownLawn

HometownLawn LawnSite Member

Because the people arent paying for your degree, they are paying for image enchancement to their home, and people will pay large for that. Just like they pay large for other image enhancements such as detailing cars, haircuts, fingernails..etc.

Also..for convience. The same reason you pay that extra buck at 7-11 for milk when you could drive your lazy butt down to the grocery story and get it cheaper...they dont want to do the work, but they will pay someone else to do it.