What Maple to choose?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by clc2003, Aug 30, 2006.

1. clc2003

clc2003 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ia

I am trying to decide what maple tree to put in my back yard this fall. I am considering a Red Maple but also saw pics of a Sugar Maple that also had good fall color. I don't think I like the Octobor Glory, but then again pics can be deceiving. Any Suggestions?

2. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees LawnSite Senior Member

We have problems with the october glory freezing and splitting, and sunburning here south of you. Auttumn flame, blaze, or even sunset we don't.

3. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

look into a bloodgood jap maple they are pricey but are beautiful .

4. Rcgm

Rcgm LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

October glory is my favorite here in Indiana. I hate my silver maple in my yard rigt now always seems to get leaf galls.

5. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I love the Crimson King Maple. They are dark purple and very nice looking. I have bought a lot of trees and other things from www.gurneys.com

6. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Out here Japanese maples and vine maples are all the rage.

Just make sure you plant any maple a good bit away from any buildings. They have a pretty large spread once mature.

7. clc2003

clc2003 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ia

yes, I have a couple of maples in my yard now, I have not identified them yet but they are ugly, not much fall color and are too close together. I am planning on taking one if not both of them out. As for the Jap. Maple, I like them but I am looking for something bigger than that.

8. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I agree Crimson King is a winner in my book.

9. golfguy

golfguy LawnSite Member

If you want to have any chance of growing decent grass under the tree choose the Sugar Maple.