What mix of grass to use???

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by fourbybud, May 12, 2008.

1. fourbybud

fourbybud LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Hello everyone, hope I am posting this in the correct place. I am getting ready to start seeding my property and I have a few questions. My local
    co-op has, and recommends, their Supreme Mix. It consists of
    46.51 Perennial Ryegrass
    32.98 Kentucky Bluegrass
    17.82 Creeping Red Fescue
    .06 Crop Seed
    2.53 Inert Matter
    .00 Weed Seed

I am not sure of my zone but by zip is 44667, and the areas to be seeded will be in full sun. Will this seed give me a nice deep green color or will it turn brown and die out as soon as summer hits? Any suggestions or recommendations will be appreciated. I just want to do it right the first time if you know what I mean.

2. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Check to make sure there are a few varieties of each type of seed. That way if a problem occurs with say a KBG type it may not effect the other KBG. Most quality seeds will state the named varieties on the label.

3. hickslawns

hickslawns LawnSite Member

Might want to wait till fall. And Jaybird is right, you want several varieties of bluegrass and rye in the blend. If it is full sun and you have the amount of clay and nasty soil that we have on the other side of the state, don't overlook the possibility of turf type tall fescue either. Grows well in poor soil and clay soils. Call Oliger Seed. they are in your neck of the woods I believe Akron. Very good about pointing you in the right direction if you are unsure. Good luck.