What mixture do you use for 2,4-D herbicide?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by sage55, May 15, 2012.

1. sage55

sage55 LawnSite Member

I currently have a one gallon sprayer and 2,4-D that needs some mixing. Curious what everyone is using for a general 2,4-D mixture to kill weeds, dandelions, and such?

2. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

4-6 oz a gallon

3. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

Obviously the other response is from someone who is using wal-mart products.
    What does you label state to use??
    It depends on the concentration of the Active ingredient as to how much you mix per gallon. 2-4D comes in many concentrations for different costs.
    If you don't have a label, then go online and search for your product you have and read the online specimen label.

If you must know.......my professional blend of amine phenoxyatic acid is used at a rate of 1-1.5 oz's per thousand square feet of turfgrass.
    The next thing you need to know is if your formulation is a amine acid or a ester.

If you go mixing what the nuckle head above stated, you will kill more than the weed.

4. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

1.5 oz per qt...
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

What spreader sticker are you mixing with??
    Won't work unless you do use some!

6. Dbry12

Dbry12 LawnSite Member

this exactly. most professional 2-4D products call for a max of 1.5oz per 1,000. otherwise you will burn the turf or kill it. your best bet, like stated, is to google it. Then once you find out exactly what it is, read the label or come back and let us know.

7. sage55

sage55 LawnSite Member

I guess that's where I'm getting a bit confused then. I won't be using the mixture to spray other peoples yards, or even my own yard with some big sprayer. I will be using the mixture to spray my own lawn with a hand sprayer and only in spots that need it. My idea wasn't to coat my entire lawn with 2,4-D.

For what it's worth the bottle states is a Amine.

8. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

Gaaaah :dizzy:

Option 1: Read the label & do the math!

Option 2: Call a professional!

9. sage55

sage55 LawnSite Member

Gaaaah :dizzy:

Comment 1: Thanks for the incredibly insightful post. I'll never understand why people can bother posting worthless crap but not helpful. To each their own.

Comment 2: I've contacted Southern States, the place I purchased it from, and they suggest 2oz per gallon.

For what it's worth, the bottle did not have a label on it other than the printed name. I'm assuming the stick on label fell off.

Thanks. :)

10. Landgreen

Landgreen LawnSite Member

If you do not have a label then you need to find it. It's irresponsible to apply a pesticide without knowing what exactly it is. Is that insightful enough for you or would you like me to get more specific?
    Posted via Mobile Device