What model of eXmark for me?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Morley, Jun 15, 2004.

1. Morley

Morley LawnSite Member
    from Canada

Hey everyone,

I am totally new to this, and at this point I am just
    doing some research before making a big purchase.
    I am interested in the eXmark Lazer Z models, but I don't know
    what one I should be more foccused on? Price is a factor.

This is what I plan on doing:

Starting a business from scratch.
    So all I have at the moment is my 21" Honda mower, and weed wacker. I need to purchase the big one now, and have narrowed it down to the eXmarks,
    I seen one guy locally riding on his, and it seems like an awsome machine.. Not sure what the model is, but I know it was a lazer Z.

I am not sure how mig of a unit I will need, I think the 60" would be preferable, but again, I am a newbie at all of this.
    I can't say how many customers, or how many sq feet I will need to cut yet, as I don't have any customers. All I can say is that I think most of the customers will be residential, with 1-3 acre lots
    for the most part.. Hopefully I can tag some commercial lots on as well eventually.

Any help right now, would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks and have a great day!!

Morley

2. Morley

Morley LawnSite Member
    from Canada

I should have also mentioned that there is a used one
    at my local dealer.

1998 25HP Kohler LZ
    for 6000.00 Canadian and has about 1500 hours.
    Does this sound like a good price and machine to start out with?
    I cant find any information about this older model anywhere?

3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

1500 hours is a bit high for buying as a main machine to start a business.
    I'd suggest you buy a walk behind first since you admittedly have no current customers.
    A rider is a lot of overhead when there is no income.

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Morley,

Again DVM makes some good points. For most operators, not all, 2000 hours is about the max they'll get out of an engine. I've seen engines with 3600 hours on them and still running strong but they are the exception rather than the rule.

Personally I'd trade any 2000 hour machine off for something newer and probably better. Since that 98 model was built we've added bigger tires, beefier frame, deeper Ultracut deck, more durable pumps, better seats, larger fuel capacity, better hydro tank, stronger engines, better air filters, better spindle bearings, improve wheel bearings, improved caster pivots, stronger caster forks, better tires, more comfortable drive levers, fuel gauge, stronger clutches........the list is actually pretty long but as you can see the current models are superior in every aspect except price. The used 98 is going to be quite a bit less money.

My suggestion would let your properties dictate what machine best fits you needs. That may mean a walk behind or a Lazer HP is the best machine for you this year. These machines more than earn their keep. Most operators will pay them off in the first year if not the first 90 days of the mowing season in some cases. If you need to upgrade next year, the year after or several years later that's okay. I personally think it's more important to buy the machine you need today and let tomorrow sort itself out when it happens. I hope that makes sense.

Now after all my rambling I guess my point is look at your needs today or at least you realistic needs for this season and buy the machine that best fits those needs.

Thanks,

Terry