What model year could this be?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Envy Lawn Service, Nov 4, 2002.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I saw a 60" Lazer with no foot assist on the deck lift. The product literature I have says the foot lift was standard on the 2002. So whats the last year they were made without the foot assist?

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Envy,

The foot lift assist was one of many "running changes" on the Lazer Z. I'm not sure when it was implemented for sure. If you sent me your s/n I can tell you the day it was built, the day it was shipped and with luck, the day you purchased the unit. The build date should tell us what model year you mower is.

Thanks

Terry

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Envy,

In the 2001 model year, only the EPS (EFI) units came standard with the Foot deck lift. Mine didn't come with it, but for $40 it can be added to just about any late model Lazer. I think the 2000, and 2001's were the years that they came standard on the EPS's. Mid year running changes saw them appearing towards the end of the 2001 M/Y on all regular Lazers as well, with full availability in the 2002 M/Y.

4. Envy Lawn Service

OK, so it's possible that the unit I looked at could be a 2001 model???

He's asking in the $6,800 range plus tax for it. I think that's below MSRP. But that really doesn't mean much. I ought to be able to get a discount on one of these. Heck he has 5 of them in stock that he says he's having to pay interest on now.

5. eXmark

Envy,

Did the unit have the cannister air filter?

Thanks

Terry

6. Envy Lawn Service

Yes! A 23 HP Kohler w/canister filter! Anyone has to love Exmark for all those options that come standard!

7. eXmark

Envy,

The unit your looking at sounds like a late 2001 model. We introduced the cannister air filter as a running change in late 2001 and the foot lift assist I believe was implemented on the 2002 models. Take TLS's advise and add the foot lift. It's money well spent and while you’re at it consider the mulch kit and striping roller.

Thanks

Terry

8. Envy Lawn Service

If I go Exmark, I'm going all out for the extras while I'm at it. Mulch kit, striping roller, anti blowout baffles ect.

I hope to get a break on some stuff doing it that way. Even though I don't like the pricing very much (sorry I'm a tightwad) I have to admit that eXmark has all the eXtras I'm looking for. This forum is a real nice touch too!!!

Now I guess the million dollar question is......
    Will I convince myself that the eXmark is worth the extra premium?

The deal on the 60" is the best I've found so far on an eXmark.

Thanks for all the help....REALLY!

9. eXmark

Envy,

Take this for what it's worth but while you need to keep an eye on costs and look at the purchase price of equipment you don't want to over emphasize this particular component in you buying decision.

If you calculate the income the Lazer can generate the initial cost is not all that significant. Figure out how much gross income or net income you can generate with the Lazer Z on your initial investment then challenge your local investment banker to match it. You might be surprised what you find out.

You should also keep in mind that other important factors must be considered. Dealer support should be high on your list of things to consider. You should also consider performance. If the product you purchase does not perform the task it was intended for or if it doesn't perform the task well then there may have been a better choice to consider.

An extreme example would be comparing the income generated by a $10,000 Lazer vs. the income generated by a top of the line lawn tractor that somebody just gave you for free. Which one would have generated more income for you at the end of the first season? The same holds true even for zero turn mid-mount riding mowers. Which one will give you the least amount of down time at the end of year one, two or three? Which one will have parts and technical support available when you need it etc. If you save $1000 by buying brand X but it spends and extra 5 days in the shop during the first year because the technical support isn't there or the parts support isn't there how much money did you really save? How much did you save if those 5 days turn into 15 or 30? What then happens in year two or three as more failures occur? How many customers called you because you were late getting their lawn cut while you primary mower was in the shop? How much extra time did it take you to cut the lawns normally cut with your 60" rider that you were now cutting with a 48" walk behind because that is all that you had available?

You've also got to consider things like quality of cut. What does the lawn look like after you leave? After all that’s your calling card for your business. Better yet what does it look like a few hours after you leave when the missed blades of grass that the deck pushed down begin to pop back up? What does it look like a few days later when the piles of clippings that appeared to be mulched begin to turn brown and you've now got brown strips of cut clippings in nice pretty rows showing each pass you made? Does the lawn look nice enough that you might pick up an extra job or two in the same neighborhood? After all the mower doesn’t generate any income on the trailer driving across town to the next job site. Does the mower still cut nice at higher ground speeds? After all time is money and while there may be many machines that are faster across the parking lot we hold our own pretty well in the grass.

Just some things to consider.

Thanks for listening to my ramblings.

Terry

10. LKNServices

LKNServices LawnSite Member

The year model is reallly not an issue. I don't think you are looking to purchase the mower in order to turn a profit when you resale. My dealer is really pushing those units as well, b/c its that time that they have to start paying interest. I bought a Lazer at the beginning of the year that came with the foot lift, however, I removed it. I've seen the same type of units at the same dealer w/out foot lift, cupholder,etc all summer long. Is my unit worth more? NO! Most people in the market for used mowers are looking at the $$$ and hrs. By all means get the stripe roller. My dealer has only sold two? That's great b/c my lazer stripes better than wb's :p