1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What Month do you start Spring clean-ups?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Greatdane612001, Jan 17, 2003.

1. grshppr

grshppr LawnSite Senior Member

We start as soon as we can in March doing spring cleanups. It all depends on when the snow melts for us. The earlier the better so you don't get too back-logged in Apr/May when all the calls flood in. We start pruning fruit trees in late Feb.
  2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Its generally speaking the 2nd - 3rd week of March. I try to start as early in March as absolutely possible with the postage stamp sized city lots and then work my way up into the hills as the ground becomes more acessible.
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I start cleanups in the first week of March.
  4. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

We start when we can and if you are busy thats the advice that I give you. Spring is by far the biggest revenue time for us with everyone wanting everything done NOW. Cleans, dethatching, remulching beds, aeration, fert and weed apps, after a long winter inside my customers are very happy to see me and my wallet is happy to see them. I just wish the days were 48 hours long.
  5. Equipguy

Equipguy LawnSite Senior Member

Eary February or as soon as the phone starts ringing.

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

Early March. Accts on my fert. program get top priority so I can get down the pre-emergent. We've had winds in excess of 65mph this winter, so I know most accts will be trashed.
  7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

The last couple of winters have been warm in the Northeast. We have been lucky and got a head start on clean ups in mid to late March.

Dunno about this year though. Guess we'll have to wait and see. Personally, I am in no hurry...need my hibernation period.
  8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

When they start calling. My normal customers don't need much for cleanups in the spring. I guess you could say the last few years, fall-winter-spring have kinda ran together. We are basically working year round this year.
  9. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

Last year we started march 1, year before april 1. Depends on weather, we will see this year
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Toward the end of March - beginning of April, for the actual cleanups to start. I will start fertilizing probably even before that, though. I'm able to do that when the ground isn't even fully thawed, yet.