1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

what motor for my 48" bobcat?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Feb 9, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

currently have 12 hp on all my mowers. thinking of gettin a bigger motor put on the 48" bobcat. would you put a 17hp on it? stick with the 12hp?
  2. GTLC

GTLC LawnSite Senior Member

all i know is a buddy of mine has a 14 hp kawi on his 48" belt drive.
  3. Heron Cove PM

Heron Cove PM LawnSite Member

My belt drive Bobcats have 15s. If you are going to get a hydro get the 17.
  4. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

Well bobby i have 14 kaw on a 48 lesco and wish i had the 17hp.
    I wouldn't go any thing less then a 15hp on a 48.
  5. Cutters Lawn Care

Cutters Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

How has the 12hp done for you. If you haven't experienced any problems with it I wouldn't spend any money on it. I would think that it would need more hp though.
  6. BrianK10

BrianK10 LawnSite Senior Member
    from usa

I agree with that. Unless a 12hp has done fine for you, I wouldn't go under a 15hp.

7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

well, it's belt driven, has always worked good. not great, but good. slows down a tiny bit in very high wet grass, and i definitely can't pick up leaves with it. i was wondering if the extra power would give me a cleaner pick up during leaf season.
  8. R&K Ent.

R&K Ent. LawnSite Member

I once read that to pull the average man on Sulky etc. that you should have at least 18hp to not bog down and wear out WAY to fast. Not from experience, just read and thought I would pass that on.
  9. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Your kidding, right??? 17 at least...... Heck, come on up and try my 23 kaw on the 48:p
  10. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Bobby, I'm currently deciding between a pair of 48 eXmarks or Bobcats. Both come standard w/ a V-Twin Kaw on them. I have 16 Briggs Vanguard (Daihatsu) V-twins on my current 48& 52 snapper belts. IMHO, 12HP is good for machines up to 36" only!
    Good luck.