What mower blower and trimmer & what to chg

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by truerblue, Feb 8, 2005.

1. truerblue

truerblue LawnSite Member

I am 59 years old and this is my first post. I have a job but, I would like to work for myself: control my opportunities and work as long as I want (not retire). I only want part time. I have a 95 Ford F150 truck and most of the hand tools I need for doing lawn and yard maintenance. I need a lawn mower and a trimmer. Also a blower (do you use a blower on all jobs) Any suggestions as to what I should get that is not too expensive but good quality. I plan to mow and trim at residential sites. About what too charge:(this question is the result of looking at another thread that seemed to have it's last post sometime ago and so I don't know if anybody will see my question) am I right that the average rate for a standard mow and trim would be about $60 a Hour So any job would be a minimum of $30. Anyway, I probably have a lot more questions than that, but, this is all for now. PS I like the idea of charging a professional rate and serving customers that want professional services and perhaps doing some value added stuff to build the relationship. Thanks.

2. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome to Lawnsite! It is nice to see another Oregonian on here, there are not that many. I am not real familiar with Salem, you will need to take a look at the following things.

Size of lawns you are going to service?
    Do they have gates that you are going to have to seal with ?
    How many lawns do you want to service ?
    What is your budget ?
    As far as trimmers and blowers I would go see Paul at Keiser Outdoor Power, they sell Red Max and I very happy with them.

You should look at insurance rates and contact the Oregon Landscape board for the rules as far as what maintenance is in Oregon! You can download it from their website.

I hope my rambling helps !

3. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

For residential lawns only I would look into a 48" ZTR. Scag sells their Tiger Cub for something like $5999.00 Good mower and good price.

You didn't mention an edger......are there any curbs or mainly asphalt?

Don't quit the day job until you can make it comfortably through the winter months :dizzy: