1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

What mower did you start with?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by brandman25, Feb 7, 2010.

1. cclllc

cclllc LawnSite Senior Member

8 hp areins 30 inch rear engine rider and a trimmer attachment that fit on my little homelite chainsaw.

2. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

First one was 1985 DC 50' it cut 1.5 acres per hr back then that was a fast mower
    and still is.
    From since then owned 11 still run 9 of the 11

3. Jaybrown

Jaybrown LawnSite Bronze Member

All Stihl equipment be 600. Frs 90. Exmark commercial x with a Honda. Now I have two commercial 30 s.

4. jackhammer731

jackhammer731 LawnSite Member

Started in 2003 with a 3.5 HP 21" pushmower from Lowe's, weed eater bent shaft trimmer and a cheap blower on the back of my F-150. Mowed rental properties (three) of a friend of mine. I do this only part time but since then have built through word of mouth and customer referrals.

Now have 20 regular clients and have been expanding my landscaping services. Still have the F-150 towing my trailer and my JD zero turn. Husqvarna straight shaft trimmers, echo back pack blower. When I retire from my regular job in 10 years, plan to do this full-time simply because I love working outside and the smell of freshly cut grass. Wierd, I know, but hey that's me!

5. RonWin

RonWin LawnSite Senior Member

2012 snapperpro ztr, 2012 echo 770 bp blower 2012 echo string trimmer. I didn't mess around with a budget start up and made it all back in the first year.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. echophone

echophone LawnSite Member

if you count buying your first mower or first you ever used the first bought is november 2012 Poulan Pro 21 inch 95$, its ok ...will it make it through a season? but i mow at least 1 place a week year round

7. clydebusa

clydebusa LawnSite Bronze Member

Started in 1982 with 1969 ford 250 3 lawnbabys and snapper 11hp rider and ryan weedeater. Ryan still hangs in shop. First new piece of equipment 1983 suzuki 2 cycle toro 21".

8. MrGlockJock25

MrGlockJock25 LawnSite Member

Piece of crap Toro Personal Pace that doesn't have the self propelled, Echo SRM 230 which is awesome, Echo PB260L 11 years old and runs awesome, Echo PE-200. Looking to hopefully buy an Exmark Metro or something similar in a month or two in 36"

9. billc1004

billc1004 LawnSite Member

1976 2 21" Lawn boy 2 stroke First walk behind was a 36" sensation not a true pistol grip , just grab the brake and try to spin it around .Hit a bump in the lawn and it broke into 2 pieces ! I still have a brand new 25 year old 21 " sensation cast aluminum deck in my garage ..