What Mower do I Need?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by ToughAsStihl, Aug 13, 2006.

1. ToughAsStihl

ToughAsStihl LawnSite Member
    from Vermont

Ok, I need to get a new mower. I don't have much money to spend.

Heres the problem I have a few jobs now that range in size. I have small and very hilly areas but that I also have big (2-3 acres) of open area.

So what mower do I need? It would be nice to have both a walk behind and a ZTR but money wont allow it.

So should I get a walk behind or a ZTR? Its a real toss up. I have more of the hilly yards than wide open but not a huge difference.

So what are your thoughts?

2. MysticLandscape

MysticLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

A 48 inch hydro sounds like it would do you good, and get a sulky for those bigger yards.

3. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

He said it first. I was going to say a pair of scissors but a 48" will get you buy if you cant afford the shears. Good Luck!!!

4. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

+1 for the Hydro walk and sulky.

5. ToughAsStihl

from Vermont

Thanks, I guess I need to shop around for a used hydro. What would be the best used hydro? What company lasts the longest?

6. Frosty_03

Frosty_03 LawnSite Senior Member

A belt drive would be much cheeper and I don't care what everyone says it is a good mower for someone to start with, besides if you get a use hydro the pumps can be very expensive to replace, while a belt for a belt drive is not that bad. I still use a 48" belt drive and I do have a couple of hilly areas I just don't try to ride the sulky when I am going up hill. It will pull me up hill. Regarding to welt belts I have not had one slip yet. There you have it. You should shop around for something you can afford and pay cash that way all that you make is nothing but profit.:weightlifter: :cool2: A 48" METRO EXMARK will not let you down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:walking:

7. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

A 48 Metro is a great mower, (it was my 1st commercial mower) But I will say it is not cheaper.You will take less money out of your pocket to get it home. But from that time on it will cost a lot more to run and will "cost" you a lot more.
    Mowers do not "cost" money, they make it and a hydro will make a lot more because of the speed and maneuverability of the unit.
    The dollars up front should not be a factor in an equipment purchase, but the ROI.
    Frosty is not wrong in what he says. But there are 2 ways to look at it.

8. ToughAsStihl

from Vermont

Unfortunately money upfront and throughout is the problem. I WILL have to finance but I am not able to even make the payments. I have to use money from mowing to go towards mowing equipment. Since I only have 2-3 full time mowing's I have no money. So the cheaper the better.

Especially when your tractor drops a tie rod end just at the start of a job and I had to push mow a lot of the yard.

9. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Uh-- You should ALWAYS pay for the equipment from the work that it produces.
    You are on the right track-- If the work you are doing will not support the mower than #1you do not want the mower-- or #2 you need more work--

But, every dime you spend on your business needs to be paid for by your businesss and a profit after that

Or

If cuttin grass is NOT paying for the mower, there is now reason to have a mower to cut grass.

10. ToughAsStihl

from Vermont

No I just started this year and thats all I have now. Next year I plan on having 10-15 yards. Unfortunately I have the money from the current mowing's paying for other things so my mower funds suffer.