What mower do I pull off the trailer?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by echeandia, Jan 23, 2007.

1. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

Here is the scenario. You have a new customer and they have a 1/2 acre lot. Nice yard with planting beds and a patio out back. The front is also nicely landscaped. There are several trees in the middle of the turfed areas of the yard. You drive up for your first cut of the yard. On your trailer you have a 48" WB and a 60" ZTR. Which mower do you use?

2. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Me- 60 - I dont walk anymore. But really you should use the 48. With the footprint of the house, beds, and driveway there is not much grass. 48" will give you a better look and do less damage over time. Plus customer will thank you and appreciate you "taking care" of their lawn.

3. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Walk,man don't you run a sulky i would cut it with the walk behind.

4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Walk it till you know what you can get away with. Never screw around on the first cut.

5. Steve's Mow & Trim

Steve's Mow & Trim LawnSite Member

I agree walk it, you will get a much better look from not using the 60

6. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Ahhh, but you can cross-cut w/ the 60 on the first time & it'll only take a little longer. That's what I'd do.

7. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Hell you don't buy a $7,000 machine so it can sit on the trailer...2,000 square foot lot...maybe...a half acre??? No brainer you ride on that one!!

8. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

If the customer is home...WB

If the customer isn't home...ride it

9. Lawntime Mowers

Lawntime Mowers LawnSite Member
    from KC MO

ALWAYS tread lightly on the first couple of runs until you have a good handle on the yard and all the obstacles.
    You also have to take the ground and grass conditions into consideration before you drop a 60" Z onto a over saturated lawn. Bury a Z on the first trip and see if the customer continues service with you all summer.
    Don't loose an entire summer worth of work because you're in a hurry to fire up the largest mower on the trailer.

10. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

i'd walk it the first time