What mower for my property? (pics!)

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by jdg15, May 16, 2012.

1. jdg15

jdg15 LawnSite Member

Hi,

I have been looking on this site for a while and I think it's a great wealth of knowledge. I would like to get some suggestions on which zero turn mower would be best for my property.

My budget is 5K and I want a 52 inch or bigger deck. The land is not tooooooo rough and fairly flat by my estimation, you can judge from the pics. I have a exmark and hustler dealer close and a friend who works there but I am not limiting myself to just these brands. My main objective is to get something easy maintenance and will deliver a great cut and stripe. Having a cadillac ride is not my main concern.

As you can see my main yard is what is in the pictures, there is also another smaller yard right next to me that I mow but takes really no time. I want to begin mowing behind the house more on the flat with the taller grass but it takes to long with the old john deere. I am not sure how many acres it all is together.

Anyways, shoot me some suggestions on what you would recommend. Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dieseltech

dieseltech LawnSite Senior Member

Husqvarna mz6128...large drive and caster tires, zt3400 commercial transmissions, 61" fab deck, 28hp briggs pro, very well built mowers. Check em out. Right at 5 grand and you get alot of mower for that 5 grand.
    Posted via Mobile Device

http://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/zero-turn-mowers/mz6128zt/

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  3. Nate'sLawnCare

Nate'sLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditto on the Husqvarna, they appear to be very sturdy machines.

4. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

Nice land and nice views. Most guys on here are brand loyal and will advise what we own, me being no different. You have to demo and see what fits you. I myself would look at three mowers. The first would be the Hustler Fastrak 54" The Fastrak has ZT3100 hydro's and a Kawasaki engine. The Fastrak is built like a tank, great residential warranty and a great company to deal with.

Second would be the Scag Freedom Z, ZT3100 hydro's and the 3400's on the 61" the Freedom has a few engine choices with the larger deck sizes. The Freedom is a good reliable mower, great cut and I have to say I love the seat!

The third would be the Husqvarna mentioned above. I have never used one or even seen one in the Z form, but Husky has been getting allot of good feedback from the site users and it is in your price range.

There are a few to look at, I have not priced mowers in awhile, but I still believe these are all in the ballpark of your budget. You can also look around for a leftover. Sometimes a dealer has a mower sitting around with a beard on it and you can save some cash. Dealer support is important, so finding a good dealer you like will also help with your purchase and future issues. Happy shopping and post back what you find.

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  5. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I would suggest almost any commercial mower. Keep an eye on the classifieds and you will find something within your budget. Under 500 hours and you should be good to go. Just make sure that you are pleased with the actual condition and don't just rely on the hour meter.

Watch out for that creek bank though. Give yourself some extra room especially when you are first learning the controls.

6. JBLandscaping11

JBLandscaping11 LawnSite Member

i would buy a bobcat. Demo one and you will be very happy. But make sure you have a good dealer! great machines. Best on the market for a reasonable price

7. lowendrider

lowendrider LawnSite Member
    from AL

A big un..thats what you'll need.

8. jdg15

jdg15 LawnSite Member

You ain't kiddin, it takes forever with that john deere, it's only got a 38 inch deck and 14hp motor.

9. Nate'sLawnCare

Nate'sLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

I also recommend a big deck, at least a 52, if not a 60.

10. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Well gee, golly wiz ... that's probably why he wants another machine !!

:hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: