What mower should I buy

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by wiredawg, Feb 18, 2008.

1. wiredawg

wiredawg LawnSite Member

I am diving into the lawn care industry this year and I am looking at a couple of mower's to buy. One is a 2000 36 inch Exmark, supposedly used for only one season. The dealer wants 2000 for it. It has a 15 horse Kohler.

The other is a '07 33 inch Billy Goat with electric start for 1850. It has a 13 horse, not sure of the maker.

I am working with a limited budget, so I want to keep my initial expenses low, But I still want to have a quality product and not have to worry about down time. I am also going door to door with 2000 flyers, I hope to get 20 call backs. Is that an unreasonable thought.

I appreciate all feed back.
  2. joshco84

joshco84 LawnSite Senior Member

Get the exmark, you are getting a much better product, bigger engine, and for sure a kohler for 150 more. Much more bang for the buck in my opinion.
  3. wiredawg

wiredawg LawnSite Member

my only problem is the Exmark is 8 years old, and the Billy goat has never been used. Is an Exmark that good of a buy?
  4. GNB

GNB LawnSite Member

I Would Go With Exmark.i Would Keep Looking For The Right One.the One You Mentioned Is 8 Years Old Already Regardless Of Hours.you Can Get A Better Deal Then That.search Craigslist And Keep Looking Every Day. You Will Find Something.i Had Alot Of Luck There.i Think You Will Get More Then 20 Call Backs From 2000 Flyers.good Luck .work Hard,be Honest,and Never Quit And In No Time You Will Have More Work Then You Can Handle.
  5. jiggz

jiggz LawnSite Senior Member
    from jerz

to be honest 13hp is to small for a walkbehine IMO.. ive only used bobcats so i cant speek on these 2 brands other then i know the exmark is a better quality machine.

I have 2 w/b's both 32' bobcats one has a 13 kawi and the other a 15hp kawi and maaaaaan WHAT A DIFFERENCE its almost twice as fast and it never bogs down.. sometimes my 13 really had a hard time in tall or thick grass..and its not like the motor is on its way out.. because it had good compression
  6. joshco84

joshco84 LawnSite Senior Member

Im sorry i misread the original post, i thought it was an 06. But i would still go with the exmark, i would try to talk them down on the price though. I am assuming it is a belt drive. Go offer them 1500 and see what they say. Sounds like it is a machine the dealer has had for a while and is wanting to get rid of. Make them an offer and see what they say.
  7. touhey33

touhey33 LawnSite Senior Member

How many hours are on the Exmark? I know its a superior brand, but the billy goat isn't a bad machine for small yards and just starting out. Why don't you look into the quick 36 as well. 13hp is plenty of power for the 33" billy goat it only weighs like 271lbs. The Exmark probably weighs 500lbs. If you plan on using a sulky, you definitley should go with the Exmark, but if not I would go with the Billy Goat or Quick 36.

Here are some links for the Billy Goat and Quick 36

8. wiredawg

wiredawg LawnSite Member

I am now kinda looking at a worldlawn 33 inch. It has a 13 horse briggs.
  9. wiredawg

wiredawg LawnSite Member

as far as the exmark...according to the shop it was only used for one season. I don't know if I believe that, but who knows, and they can't tell me how many hours it has been ran.