What Mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by bravenrace, Apr 29, 2014.

1. bravenrace

bravenrace LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Thanks. I can see how those features would make them ride better, but an additional problem I've had with zero turns in the past was difficulty in keeping them going straight on bumpy terrain. This is as important to me as the ride comfort. Are these mowers also more stable on rough/bumpy terrain?

2. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

Yes because there is less impact to the operator. Also straight lines come with practice.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. bravenrace

from Ohio

Well I've had many years of practice, so I guess I'm a lost cause! But I'll tell you that when I demo'd a Walker I was immediately able to mow in a staighter line than I could with the zero turn I had been using for many years. That, and demo'ing other zero turns lead me to believe that zero turns were not as stable on bumpy terrain. That's just been my experience.

4. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

Im sorry. Didn't mean to say your not experienced. Stick with what works for you. But if you can demo those machines I mentioned. Id like to hear your opinion on them compared to Walker.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

A fixed front axle makes it hard to keep it straight. Most company use it and I dont get why. The ferris 3100 and the bigger diesel model have full independent suspension which keeps the machine from bouncing. The kubota 300 series also have a pivoting front axel. The kubota is what I use as well as an old 721d grasshopper.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. doublesharp

doublesharp LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a Ferris Evolution 48" with the 27hp kaw fx751v would be a good fit.

7. WilsonBoud

WilsonBoud LawnSite Member

I'm a proud owner of the '13 Scag Cheetah (31 hp, 61", 3.5 acres), Purchased in April '13. WIth my rough property, I'm very pleased with the results. Cutting the property in half the time.......

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

8. ohbuckhunter

ohbuckhunter LawnSite Member

What part of Ohio are you from. And are you interested in selling the toro WB.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. bravenrace

from Ohio

Yes, I will be selling it after I buy a new mower. I'm located a little bit east of Akron.

10. bravenrace

from Ohio

Thanks everyone for the replies. I will try out the machines you mentioned if I can. One thing I haven't heard about is their grass catching performance. My Ransomes has a pretty good grass catcher with a dumping hopper, but uses a hose from the blower to the hopper that can clog pretty easily. I need something that clogs less easily and I also need a dumping hopper. My old back can't take lifting bags out and dumping them manually.