1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

what mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by suprman9019er, Jun 18, 2003.

1. suprman9019er

suprman9019er LawnSite Member

:blob2: I am just starting out and i am wondering what lawn mower i should get. I want it to be at least a 42". also it is only really going to be used for residential purposes. also if u could give me how much you payed for the mower.

2. B&B LAWN

B&B LAWN LawnSite Senior Member

i am just now in my second year and i am running a 44" toro proline w/b. it works good for me but sometimes i wish i would have invested in some type of bagging mower

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

There are numerous mfg's and types of mowers out there. Comm'l walkbehinds are great starters and do a very good job. A few of the best manufacturers are sponsors here on lawnsite.

I run all eXmarks, but the Hustlers would be the only other brand I would consider...If I was to consider another brand. Thats a big if though.

4. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

What state do you live in? Ohio? South Dakota?

5. pottstim

pottstim LawnSite Senior Member

I purchased a Toro Proline 48" walkbehind with a 15hp Kawasaki about two weeks ago. It is the fixed deck model with belt drive. This is my first commercial mower, and I can honestly say that it cuts my time in half compared to the riding lawn tractor I started out with. Now I have a machine that actually stripes. I paid $2,795 for the Toro at a local dealer and got a velke for $260, so I can ride instead of walking. During my search for a walkbehind, I looked at Scag, Toro, Gravely, and Great Dane. They are all very fine machines IMO, but I got a better deal with the Toro. Plus, the Toro dealer was much more cooperative. Best of luck.

6. suprman9019er

i live in michigan

7. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Couple of things to think about: Make sure you get a mower that will fit through gates (normally a 36" deck will fit), Price is not the only consideration make sure the dealer you choose has a great service department with plenty of parts in stock and finally demo everything you are interested in to see how it really works.

Gravely_Man

8. suprman9019er

ok thanxs what do u think is the best size for just doin residential lawns?

9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

My opinion is that doing residentials you really need a 36" on the trailer. You can use a 36" to get started and as business grows you can buy a bigger mower. The 36" will then be used for gated areas. Its a mower that can stay with you as you grow.

10. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

What is the average sq footage of the lawns you will be targetting?