What Mowers are Mfgr approved for Doubles???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KLMlawn, Aug 20, 2002.

1. KLMlawn

KLMlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Just curious as to how many manufacturers actually say you can use doubles on their machines without adversly affecting spindle wear and the warrantee. Obviously Walker already has a double bladed configuration for their mulching blade, but are their any others that approve and encourage the use of doubles?

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Dixie Chopper. They even have a double blade adapter if you want to make sure the blades are in a perfect cross pattern.

I find it interesting that the subject of adverse spindle wear may develop if double blades are used every time that double blades are discussed. There may be increased belt wear and increased blade brake/electric clutch wear but just how does using double blades affect the spindles? Can someone explain this to me with out saying "it just does"?

3. KLMlawn

I believe that, although the concept of using two well balanced blades should not theoretically cause any adverse wear, in fact it should create a more stable rotation, I have found through my own use and experiences, that it does seem to decrease spindle life. Also, if you notice, not too many manufacturers, in fact most do not condon or approve doubles and in fact, if a spindle does go and the issue of doubles is brought up, they won't warrantee the spindle.

4. KLMlawn

What size shaft is the Dixie adapter for ... 5/8?
    Also, is there any special configuration to the spindle or shaft for Dixies that would prevent that adapter from being used on other machines???

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The Dixie double blade adapter has a 5/8" center hole and can be used on most mowers that do not use a cradle to hold the blade.

Oh yeah, the Hustler rep was discussing using double blades on Hustlers in another post so I guess they allow them also.

6. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

How about the affect on the engine? I just had to replace the cam in my 3 year old 17 HP Kawi on a 52" Scag hydro. I am wondering whether the increased load may have had an effect or if the original cam was never hardened.

7. Alan

Alan Member

The camshaft doesn't see any change in load regardless of how heavy the engine load is. All it does is sit there bumping the valves open at the right time. Valvetrain load changes some with RPM but that's all.

8. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

So do you think my cam went from never having been hardened? I'm sure it wouldn't be the first time a cam missed being dipped.

9. Alan

Alan Member

I don't know what you mean by "dipped" but it might be possible for a cam to not get heat treaed correctly. I do know that Chevy had soft cam troubles for a few years. Other than that I have no idea why a cam would wear out early. Did you see the old cam when it was removed? The one bad Chevy cam that I saw "in person" had some lobes that were almost round.

10. Gravely's new walkbehinds are suported by the company for double blades