What mowers to buy

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by 482roller, Dec 24, 2005.

1. 482roller

482roller LawnSite Member

I'm Just starting out and i'm looking for advice on what brand mowers to buy? Any help

2. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, I've got Bob-Cat and Toro Proline WB mowers, and I LOVE them! I demoed scag, ferris, john deere, etc, and found that Bob-Cat's and Toro Proline's are superior IMO. Let me know if you have any more questions. BTW, welcome to Lawnsite!

3. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

You might want to check with a couple local dealers and ask to demo a couple units. The mower that might work great for someone else might not work as well for you. Also when I first started out I had a 36 inch walk behind and after my first year picking up larger 2 acre plus lawns I quickly changed to riding Zero Turn Mowers. Good luck.

4. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I would recommend that you look at Hustler and Ferris and Lesco. Their all top notch mowers.

5. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Or eXmark, They are good quality mowers.

6. JeffY

JeffY LawnSite Senior Member

We use eXmark brand mowers. They last a long time and are really stable. Co-worker of mine was mowing on a damp slope as he normally does week in and week out. All of a sudden, the mower turned down the hill and the worker did all he could to stop it, but it jumped the retaining wall and crashed on a wooden bench 5' below. It obliterated the bench, and only damaged the throttle selection linkage. One tough machine.

7. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

There are about half a dozen manufacturers whose products are very similar. The differences will only bug you if you have experience with one line of equipment already.

Find out which dealer of commercial equipment in your area has the best reputation for service and start talking to them. Sooner or later, the best machine in the world isn't worth diddly if the dealer won't repair it in a decent time frame.

Some of the better brands are:

eXmark;
    Dixie Chopper;
    Scag;
    Ferris;
    Hustler;
    Wright;

...but this list is not exhaustive. I use eXmark, but I could easily do the same work with a similar mower from one of these other manufacturers. A solid commercial-grade mower is, in the end, a solid commercial-grade mower.

Whatever you do, if you really mean to make a living at this, DO NOT BUY HOMEOWNER-GRADE EQUIPMENT. That's the only advice I'll give on equipment.

8. chopsticks33

chopsticks33 LawnSite Member

whatever dealers (and brands) you have in your area, ask to demo a couple machines, check around to find out the dealer reputation...or, if you have a decent relationship with a dealer who has a brand you are looking at, you could do a favor and buy from them

9. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

It all depends on how much $$$ you wanna spend and dealer support. IMO, the best is JOHN DEERE GREEN!!!

10. indy2tall

indy2tall LawnSite Senior Member

Holy cow! What happened to the guy riding the mower? Was he able to jump off before it went over the wall?