What Mowing Deck Type Do We Want In The Future?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tonyr, Nov 22, 2005.

1. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

what is the deck style of the future?

e.g I can see side discharge being slowly phased out of commercial mowing due to liability etc.

mulching.....good on maintained dry grass, good safety, good finish generally.

rear discharge.....to my knowledge at this time no manufacturer has made a great rear discharge, yes there are some good ones around, but all fail in heavy mowing....but they are safe like a mulch deck. and can cut more grass types, and conditions easier and faster than other decks, but clipping despersal can be quite sad.

So, we are now in the era of flex/articulating decks, so what is going to be the future deck style in this new age?

I personally would like to see rear discharge decks be made to be as neat as side discharge, with a quick to insert mulch baffle kit for those nicer jobs....

2. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

or even better, a mulch on demand control that will slide a plate to give you rear discharge, and move it back over for mulching. or any combo in between.

I like the articulating idea, and I think that is where everybody will be headed eventually, it will just take them a while to figure it out, and for people to jump on the bandwagon. once more of them are sold, I expect that they will come down in price.

3. LASTEC

LASTEC LawnSite Member

Tony,
    I think articulating decks will be the decks of the future.
    Lets look at history.... Do you remember when ztr's came on the scene? I do, we started mowing with them a good 4 years before i seen anybody else in my area with one... boy i loved that, because we had the upper hand. Check this out we were running z's while all of our competitor's was running tractor type mowers, we were doing three times as much production in less time...

I took a while for z's to catch on but they did. Well i'm saying the same thing will happen with articulating decks....

Look at our company's history.... We put the first articulating mower on the golf course over 15 years ago, we were it. Now everybody makes there version of the Articulator.... Well, get ready the same thing is going to happen in the commercial market..

Bottom Line is that articulating mowers increase production, and that's what this industry is all about... produce more money with less labor...

almost forgot to tell you about our 61" Articulator it has the deck of the future.... it articulates, true mulch, side-discharge, rear-discharge or side and rear discharge at the same time all on the same mower. Do you have those choices with any other mower on the market?????????????????

4. TClawn

I would agree with you shane, but for one thing, how will you actually go faster with the same top speed, and the same size deck? how does the articulator make the mowing go any faster?

5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

TClawn, you can prolly use more of the 10mph ground speed and get same quality of cut vs an exmark or other deck. I like the baffle design that lastec has, how you can add or remove to change from side discharge to rear to mulching. If I had 11500 to spend on a mower, it would likely be a lastec.

6. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I've got $11,500 to spend on a mower but I just can't get that 61" through a 40" gate!

7. TClawn

I agree, but on every week growth, you should be able to mow at 15mph and leave a good cut. maybe a double cut on every other week growth. I would love it if lastec would speed their hydro's up so we could get 15mph on 'em. it would be great for the summer when the lawns don't grow that much.

8. LASTEC

LASTEC LawnSite Member

It would be worth it to change a few gates...

I did that for some of my customers..

9. LASTEC

LASTEC LawnSite Member

I had a post typed up to respond to how a lastec can get more production...

but i lost it and i'm out of time.... or i would re type it. :cry: i'm slow on the typer :(

Check your speed!!!!! are you sure your cutting at 15MPH if you are you should get a speeding ticket :p

we clock our mowers at 11 to 12 mph and that is blazing fast when you are cutting grass.

10. TClawn

oh no, my mowers only cut at a max of 9.5mph, and I feel so slow sometimes. 15mph would be blast. especially if you could really open it up on a straight away property.