what mowing hight

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jeff_0, Apr 29, 2003.

1. jeff_0

jeff_0 LawnSite Senior Member
    from md

what hight do most of you all have your mowers set at?

2. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

2 3/4" right now with all the stupid dandelions :mad: :angry:
    Once we get past the worst of them it's going up from there, some will stay at 3 1/4" and some will go on up to 3 1/2 or 3 3/4". A couple of them I'd like to see up at 4" or so just to experiment. If I could get them all higher like that they'd look alot better with alot less weeds but alas, these small residentials won't let you get it higher than 3 1/4" or so :( :rolleyes:

3. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

jeff- I am not going to even touch the 1/4" increments. I mow at 3" and if the wheel tracks start showing, I lower to 2 1/2". This is still long enough that the blue grass will crowd out the weeds, at least in SE. Iowa it is.

BushHogBoy must really have a fine tuned mower to adjust in 1/4" increments. He also must have a lot of critical customers with yards that demand very specific heights to even think in terms of 1/4" adjustments.

Thanks, Brad

4. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

It's not fine tuned Brad it's just the way that the spacers on the spindles (1/4") and caster wheels (1/2") work. You should know you have an identical setup with your Viking. I mainly leave the blades where they are and the front spacers are 1/2" so right now blades at 2 3/4". Add 1 half inch spacer on wheels and you got 3 1/4". You can kind of tell a difference with 1/4" sometimes and it does make a difference when you are cutting dandelions trust me!!!

5. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

2.5 the first 1 or 2 cuts of the season and the last 1 or 2 cuts. 3 all the rest of the time Unless it gets to tall, then 3.25 or 3.5 or even 3.75, but then back down to 3 as soon as I can.

6. jbrink01

jbrink01 LawnSite Member

3.5" at home, 4" at 1 large commercial warehouse (helps to choke out weeds, they're too cheap to spray for broadleaf), 3" at other residences. All will be up to 3.75" by Late June, except the warehouse.

7. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I like to mow at 3.0" to 3.5" during the summer to help the grass choke out the weeds and survive the drought. This also depends on what you are cutting.

Gravely_Man

8. turfman59

turfman59 LawnSite Senior Member

Can you see an opportunity to sell a pre-emergent here, or maybe some other type of weed control

9. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

I do not have applicator's license and know basically nothing about that stuff unfortunately. Hopefully next winter I will get the license and learn up on that stuff.

10. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

3 1/2" on all commercial and acreage, to be raised to 4" in June.

3" on all smaller residentials to be raised as high as I can get away withj in the hot months.

Never cut below 3" except in LATE fall while doing clean ups.

YMMV