What Mulching Mower to Purchase

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HacMan91, Jul 8, 2001.

1. HacMan91

HacMan91 LawnSite Member

Im looking to upgrade a mower. Ive been in the business for 3 years. I want to upgrade from a 97 Dixon 42" w/18 kohler. I had a bagging system for it but I bought a walker so I took it off and I thought I could put a mulch kit on it. The mulching is terrible, Ive been told by some friends that the deck does not allow enough air to circulate inside the deck. It mulches centipede pretty good but burmuda, you can hang it up. In my area I see alot of Lazers and Scag Turf Tigers. Ive been told that the Lazer will mulch a jungle and make it look good, the Scag did good but was very heavy. I was thinking about a 52" Lazer with a 23 Kaw. Whats the best mulching mower. I also want to do some side discharging with it and have been told the Lazer wont convert back and forth. Thanks Brad:confused:

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I don't have a mulch kit on anything, but we use double blades and discharge it and it comes out looking like it was mulched. For more info on this, click on the blinking gif below and then click on double blades. I also have a Lawnsite Links page that has 76 topics listed for thouands of threads on these topics. 2 of them are on double blades.

We even use this method for chopping leaves up. We haven't picked up anything for the past 7 years. This might work for you too. :)

3. YLC1

YLC1 LawnSite Member

I haven't used a Lazer with a mulch kit but I do use a
    Toro Z-Master with the 52" deck and a 23 Kawasaki.It takes
    about 15 minutes to switch it between discharge and mulch.
    I have about 50 hours of mowing with the mulch kit on and I
    would highly recommened it.I have used a Toro 37" walk behind that
    is a recycler (mulcher).I've owned this mower for 9 years and used
    my experience with this mower to help influence the decision to
    install the mulch kit on the Z-Master.Hope this helps.

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

If I were you,Id buy an Exmark Lazer Z.But I havent used one,so dont go by me,I have a Dixie chopper,it side disharges great,but it isnt a mulching mower,and wont mulch properly if thats what you want it to do.The exmark is made to do both,and Ive heard lots of good about how well they mulch,so that would be my choice.

5. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I would go with the lazer. I have a lazer hp 23 kaw. and I am getting the mulch kit this year. I have the exmark turf tracer, with mulch kit and it mulches leaves into dust.

6. toddco

toddco LawnSite Member
    from Seattle

I have an Exmark 48" wb which has a similar deck design to the Lazer and have tried both doubles and the mulch kit. Right now I'm using the mulch kit and am very happy with it.

The doubles do a great job and really throw the clippings. If the grass is really heavy I still have to double cut for a super clean finish, but then it looks perfect.

The mulch kit does a better job in a single pass and leaves a perfect look unless the grass is really heavy. Also, since the discharge is blocked there's no extra cleanup for walkways and beds. Nice.

It takes 20-30 minutes for me to install the baffles etc to convert to the mulch kit so changing it isn't as simple as changing blades.

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Nothing mulches like the eXmarks!!! :blob3:

There is no way I would consider taking the mulch kit off to do a lawn. I will take it off this fall when leaf removals start. The ultra vac will go back on then. Do one or the other, but not both.

How well does it mulch? Well, unless I tell the customer they think their lawn was bagged. :)