What needed

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by BobCat#1, Jul 12, 2006.

1. BobCat#1

BobCat#1 LawnSite Member

to start a small mowing outfit?All i would want to do is mow,weedeat.Igot a Cub mower and a stihl weedeater.What else would i need?Thanks*newusflag*

2. deerbutcher

deerbutcher LawnSite Member

3. BobCat#1

BobCat#1 LawnSite Member

That's a no brainer ain't it?:hammerhead: ;)

4. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

A Backpack blower,edger .You should get some insurance and a tax id number from your county clerk. But then you'll get more and more customers and then you'll realize you need bigger and better equipment.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

And more equipment of different types to do operations that actually make you money. One thing that you will find in this business is that mowing is the LEAST and I mean the VERY LEAST lucrative operation in the entire green industry. Doing a "mowing only" operation, besides being a no-brainer, is a foolish venture. You're working your tail off for nothing and leaving all the real money on the table. The idea of doing mowing is for access to other work. THAT is where the income is. That's why I laugh at all these new "mowing" operations that start up every year. We are a full maintenance operation that has been in business for over 20 years. If you were to ask e - out of ALL the operations we do, if we were going to give one up tomorrow, you can rest assured it would be mowing. A man can make more money with a $15 shovel than he can with a $10,000 mower. There is no question about it.
    Take this advice...take the "mowing only" idea, take two steps back, and re-think and plan different.

6. BobCat#1

BobCat#1 LawnSite Member

I'm not wanting this to be my primary source of income.I got a good day job,i just want to do a few on the side.

7. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

You should at least get a hand held blower.

8. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Than why not become a Walmart greeter. You will stay clean, you will stay dry and cool. It is much easier work. You will not destroy the homeowner mower that you have and you will be paid,
    You will probably lose money after you buy a new mower to replace the one you have now, pay for gas oil and maintenance, time invested in your business, money for overhead, advertising, insurance, taxes, stamps, blades, line, parts, computer paper, accountants, legal fees, and the 100 other things you need to be in business.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Quite simply, you are not going to pay insurance, pay your taxes, and do what you are supposed to do and make any money if you only do it part time. Could a guy open up a restaurant and sell 1/3 as much food as the capacity and stay open?You have your overhead to contend with. Even withOUT insurance...by the time you pay taxes on your money you won't make it.

10. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

Thank you PMLAWN ...... theres an old saying if you cant run with the big dogs stay on the porch.