What needs to be done here?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by kc2006, Apr 9, 2005.

1. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Well I have some questions on what needs to be done with my parents lawn. The front yard grows good and everything but its got alot of dead grass in it, its a mix of dead/dieing grass and healthy grass and some areas have some crabgrass like areas. What would be the best route to making the yard look really nice? I was thinking it needs thatched to get rid of the dead stuff and then I was going to seed it to get it fuller, then spray it with a weed and feed. Am i on the right track? I don't do anything of this sort, whole yard makeovers so I just wanted to get some help, thanks all :waving:

2. Duramax99

Duramax99 LawnSite Member

Do you have any pictures? Is the lawn in a shady area? It sounds like you are on the right track but pictures would be helpful.

3. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

It looks really bad in the pictures i have. Looking at it, its just an average yard really, doesn't look horrible but I'm picky. My dad doesn't do much to the yard, he's like the cheap gardener (whatevers on sale he'll buy and put down) which isn't the way to do it. So I'm going to do this as a gift for them. The yard is mostly shade, but in the middle of the yard its always got sun on it. What type of seed should i get for this? And is there a certain spray that would be best to promote healthy growth and get rid of the crab grass, and some patches of clover?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Duramax99

Duramax99 LawnSite Member

Step 1 Lesco Pre - M
    If you are going to seed then you need to use Tupersan, its more expensive but wont hurt the new grass seed

Step 2 - Lesco 24-5-11 Mid May

Step 3 Lesco Wet to help out with any drought conditions
    Spot spray any broadleaf weeds as needed.

Step 4 - Lesco Mertit with fert for Grubs
    Watch for Dieases
    Step 5 - A round of Starter fert to help next years growth
    Spot treat Crabgrass if any

Lime

Hope this helps